Discuss Leaving a puppy in van whilst you work? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Evening all.

I have just got a puppy labrador, he's 10 weeks old and I've taken a week off to spend a bit of time with him, but I need to get back to work.

The idea is for him to come out in the van with me and I just wondered if anyone else does this and if they have any problems?

Cheers guys.

Not sure if its fair to have an energetic puppy couped in a small van... They need constant stimulation and human interaction.

Also not fair to leave them alone at home for hours at a time. Its important to ensure your lifestyle allows for a puppy before making that commitment

You van will get ripped to shreds, Labrador pups love something to chew on.
Be careful of the dog being stolen, as it's fairly valuable. Can a partner not look after the dog?

not a good idea to leave puppy in van. seats will get ripped to bits. best left at home. if nobody in with pup,you need a bed in a cage. sounds cruel, but the pup will get used to it and traet the cage as it's own special place to rest and chill. obviously you can't leave him/her alone for too long. if out all day, get a neighbour/friend/relative to call round and give the pup attention, walk it. make sure there's water and maybe food in the cage, and a comfortable bed.

My lad started taking me grand pup to work with him at about twelve weeks, not every day, i looked after me grandchild errrrr the pup on other days. She howled, but she howled at night when left in cage. He lost a few seat covers as well

Sounds like quite a casual attitude towards work to me. If they're regular customers and you have an understanding with them they might not say anything, but if I was paying someone to do a job and he brought his dog or his kids or his mates with him I'd be wondering if he'd come to do the job or just to lark around.

Sounds like quite a casual attitude towards work to me. If they're regular customers and you have an understanding with them they might not say anything, but if I was paying someone to do a job and he brought his dog or his kids or his mates with him I'd be wondering if he'd come to do the job or just to lark around.
who u referring to?

Last edited:
I have to admit I thought it was going to be a lot more straight forward than I am now thinking. I'll take a few short journeys with him in the van and see how he is, if he seems to take to it then I'll take him on a few short jobs and go from there.

Thanks for the advice.

Don't mean to have a pop but it may have been a better idea to sit down and work out whether your life suited having a dog rather than buying one and then thinking about it, I'm not saying you would do it but this is why there are so many rescue dogs, because people buy 1st and think 2nd then dump them when they become a burden.
If you're going to leave it in the van while you work then in warm weather make sure he is cool and vice versa in the winter and also keep checking on him as he will be lonely. Now if this turns out to be awkward for you then Tough, you should have thought it out first :p
If you haven't already guessed I am a huge Dog lover.

Owning a dog is a massive commitment and should not be taken on lightly. In my opinion it is unacceptable to leave a dog in a vehicle at all, and I used to have massive rows with my dad about him taking the dog when he went to the supermarket and leaving her in the car.
The days of tradesmen taking their dog to work with them are far behind us now I think. There were one or two guys at the company where I served my apprenticeship who brought their dogs onto site with them (full grown and well trained dogs) but that company was a good 20 years behind the modern world in most things. The dogs would join us for tea breaks and everyone looked out for them.
Personally I liked having dogs on site as I am a dog lover, but as a said they were well trained maturer dogs and were never taken to work if the guys were working in occupied premises.

Well it got nothing to do with the customer, unless they sit in the van with the dog.

On a personnel view, I would like a dog, but I don't think I could commit myself to one. Leaving a dog at home alone is not conducive to their well being. HHD, as you are your own boss, you can do as you wish, as long as the dog don't suffer, which I doubt you would allow. Police dogs spend 6hrs in the back of a van, apart from chasing the odd criminal. They seem to live good lives.

A dog is part of the family and should be treated with the exact same respect as any daughter or son.. would you bring a young child to work and leave them in the van/car for hours on their own. NO! because it's called child neglet yet I am baffled by some peoples reasoning that its OK to subject a dog to the same... if you cannot devote round the clock care for any pet then don't get one.

These are my own opinions and yes I've had pets myself and would never get a dog and leave at home for several hours a day or bring it to work to be shut in a car or van all day, its cruel and totally ignorant to think a dog is only fun when it's convenient for you.

If you need a pet in your family then you need to discuss 24/7 care in advance and not shun your responsibilties as a pet owner.

Reply to Leaving a puppy in van whilst you work? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock