Discuss Leb Supply???!!!???!!! in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jellen

Hi

Just wondering if someone can give me some advice please. I've quoted for a rewire at a domestic property in liverpool, however there's a problem:mad:

The house has it's own meter however the cut out is in the neighbours house. Is there a legal requirement for the LEB to change this?

Thanks

James

Hi,

The LEB will (I think) only take responsibility for the installation as far as the tails connection out of the meters (but not extending to) the distribution board. This limitation was introduced a while back to reduce the LEB's liability and was not for the benefit of the customer. This arrangement sounds a bit odd and in any case rather unsatisfactory from a safety perspective for both the user and any electrician working on the installation. Were the two properties originally one, and are they terraced properties or maisonettes? Alternatively, was the property rented out by the owner of the other one?

As to the legal situation, the installation may not be in compliance with the wiring regulations - regulation 460-01-02 (from the 16th edition) states that "a main linked switched or linked circuit-breaker shall be provided as near as practicable to the origin of every installation as a means of switching the supply on load and as a means of isolation". Depending on where the supply enters the property, you could argue that this requirement hasn't been met. It might be a good idea to try and find out what age the meters are to determine when the LEB last looked at the property. Hopefully an ex-LEB employee sees this post and can offer some input :) What it might be sensible to do is to get the customer to call the LEB to come out to assess the situation first before you start any work.

Hope that helps,

Neil

Reply to Leb Supply???!!!???!!! in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock