Discuss LED bulbs tripping light circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, I have put three led bulbs into a ceiling unit, one of these bulbs have tripped the circuit with a loud bang. When checked nothing appears to be faulty and all bulbs work. Lighting circuit reset and then it went again last night. Any ideas on what is causing the problem?

Calypso

Was the bulb turning the lamp holder when you fitted it, does sound like something shorting out.

Can you hear any humming or arking, like westward said check the lamp holders
No humming or arking. Bulb holders did no turn when bulb put in.
Checked bulb holders and they are firm an not moving.
These bulbs had been fitted for two days before going bang and tripping the MCB. Bulbs were checked this morning one by one in the light fitting with no problems. I have seen a report somewhere that the bulbs give off RF and can trip RCDs maybe something similar. We have single LED bulbs in the house with no problems.

Further to LED bulbs tripping MCB. An ordanairy incandescant bulb was but into a bulb holder and within a minute there was a loud crack/bang and the light circuit was tripped. Bulb was removed and tested and proved to be OK. Light circuit was reset and all other lights in the house gave no trouble. Light fitting was removed and a standard pendant light fitting was installed with a 7W LED bulb. That was a week ago and nothing has gone bang or tripped the circuit. The light fitting was tested for shorts and none found. Maybe some sort of arcing when the fitting got warm caused the problem. How can I rest for arcing?

Reply to LED bulbs tripping light circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock