Discuss LED lighting swap in old warehouse. in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mckayver

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and just wanted a bit of advise.

I have a small NICEIC registered company and usually undertake small to medium sized commercial new builds which have been designed by others. I would then just test the job at the end as usual, no dramas.

I have now got involved with an LED lighting company and they want us to do 'straghtforward LED swap outs', we looked at a very large old warehouse and as you can imagine this had many different DB's dotted around, unknown circuits everywhere, although in some areas the DB's had been recently tested and lighting circuits were easier to identify.

My main question is how to I approach this job with regards to certifying my work and issuing a price per light? Where do our limitations end when swapping like for like lighting and not altering the circuits but on old installations that differ in age and quality throughout the building? Do I need to test every individual circuit and issue a MWC for every cuircuit tested?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated as this could turn out to be a complex task.

Regards

Mckayver

Well for sure I would want to know the circuit I am placing lighting on is up to scratch regs/test wise. You say some DB have been tested so you could start there. In any event you are only interested in the lighting circuits from each DB so that narrows it down somewhat.
As you will remove all fittings to replace you can IR as you go and replace cabling that is bad if needed. I think I would do a schedule of tests for each circuit finally. But initially ensure each circuit I am working on is good to work on. Say Zs and LN-E IR maybe at 250 initially. That should indicate with some inspection whether to proceed or advise customer of further works prior to start.
I think I would take one circuit at a time. I would make it conditional on price that subject to finding good circuits.
What sort of height are you working at? Will you use a tower is there enough room to? Are the DB's properly labelled? Have you suggested sensors to the client? There should be cert for all DB obtained at some point in the past.
Pricing depends on access, height, weight (led high bays are pretty heavy).

Shouldn't be difficult to find the circuits you need to work on, you will see the lights go off. Test them first before you do any works to highlight any underlying faults which may require rectification. Check Zs values are acceptable. Fit new lights and retest, you only need to do Minor Works, one for each circuit you have worked on.

Hi

Thanks for that.

Half of the DB's have no information/ labelling whatsoever, can I just test an individual circuit and issue a MWC for each circuit tested irrespective of whether the DB has been tested recently or not?

With the nature of the job will just a Zs reading noted on the MWC suffice?

Thanks again for all comments received.

Mckayver

Yes a Minor Works for each but you also need to do IR tests and rcd, if applicable. You are also required to comment on the existing installation, this includes adequacy on earthing and bonding arrangements. See Reg 132.16.

Reply to LED lighting swap in old warehouse. in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net