Discuss LED Panels, surface mount in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

HandySparks

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I've not used LED panels before, but thinking of suggesting them for a ladies changing room refurbishment in a golf club, so appearance is important. The room is about 4.5m x 9.5m. Ceiling height is about 2.4m at a guess. The existing lighting is by three LED round ceiling bulkheads, plus LED tubes over some mirrors, but they're widely spaced and there's not enough light. If I add more of the same, I think it'll look pretty naff with the ceiling peppered with fittings. An alternative is recessed downlights, but it's going to need a lot to get a good even coverage without gaps.

I'm talking about the 600x600 panels, meant as replacement for florries in a suspended ceiling, but surface mounted on a plasterboard ceiling using a frame. Something like this:
Super Slim LED Panel Light 40w c/w Driver - White - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LTSP40W.html

I might also try one on our kitchen ceiling instead of the existing 5ft tube, just to see what it's like.

Anyone used them in places other than offices?

I've got 2 x 600 panels in my own kitchen.
They're mounted close to the ceiling (25mm away) with the drivers mounted on top of nearby cupboards.

I sprayed the aluminium surround white so it doesn't stand out.
I did intend putting a frame around them but I'm happy with them as they are

I've also got LED strip above and below the cabinets and use those most of the time.

Yes, I've installed the ones from TLC, also several other brands.

The TLC ones are OK, the only comment was that the end of the frame was just held on by a couple of magnets, so can be opened without a tool, if somewhere where that matters (I've installed some in schools). You can also get them a little bit cheaper than TLC, e.g. LEDHut can be cheaper (with a trade account/login).

<quote>Have you allowed for emergency lighting</quote>

Indeed I have been

You'll need to check photometric data for those packs. Required for the certificate. Fyi, lots of TLC emergency products don't have photometric data so you won't be able to us those. I tried to get some from Knightsbridge who were pretty useless

Sorry for hijack but. . . .
What is it with Knightsbridge products - they are really not at all impressive.
1) extra deep fast fix double backboxes, excellent for deeper plaster and lathe walls but when you second fix and do up the 3.5's the lugs snap every time. Ended up having to rotate the screwdriver shaft with fingers until socket tight - not impressed.
2) New out of a box 30watt floodlight, 2 of the 4 front face securing screws had threaded and the face was 1/2 hanging off. Had to drill and tap and fit 2 brass conduit 4mm bolts
3) New retaining screws on stand alone Pir not tightening onto main body, had to use my own longer screws.

Not happy so may never try them again. Do they not test these things or have quality control?

1) extra deep fast fix double backboxes, excellent for deeper plaster and lathe walls but when you second fix and do up the 3.5's the lugs snap every time. Ended up having to rotate the screwdriver shaft with fingers until socket tight - not impressed.
2) New out of a box 30watt floodlight, 2 of the 4 front face securing screws had threaded and the face was 1/2 hanging off. Had to drill and tap and fit 2 brass conduit 4mm bolts
3) New retaining screws on stand alone Pir not tightening onto main body, had to use my own longer screws.

Not happy so may never try them again. Do they not test these things or have quality control?
my old boss fitted a lot of 28 watt 2D round surface fittings couple of weeks later 50% packed up inc emergency which is no good in a nursing home

It's just all low quality Chinese ----.

We've worked along the lines of if we find a great product with great UK support then we will only fit that product.

Plus if you can deal with the manufacturer directly then even better - Dehn for example.

You can understand why people on the forum ask for recommendations. Another thread was asking about quality 100w floods and I think GMES member directed to Bell lighting so I had a look at the link and that seems very good quality. It's just a shame that people expect dirt cheap prices nowadays but 'buy quality but once' works plus if it supports our economy then 'bonus'. Thanks for replies -

Have your thread back OP

Reply to LED Panels, surface mount in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net