Discuss LED Tube Lights in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,
This is a really noobie and arty farty question that I have.

I want to make a hanging LED tube light sculpture for my new home, similar to this:
d060f421d91e3a675aee86d0c73069d3.jpg

Using fluro tubes looks like a major pain in the ---, so I have come across these Christmas lights:
s-l1600.jpg

Link: 20/30/50cm LED Meteor Shower Lights Rain 8 Tubes Fairy String Snowfall Christmas | eBay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-30-50cm-LED-Meteor-Shower-Lights-Rain-8-Tubes-Fairy-String-Snowfall-Christmas-/361828925962?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

What I'd like to do is use 2 sets, lose the animation and have them both switched on or off by a single light switch, powered by the mains.

Could anyone tell me if this is possible?
And if so, how might I go about re-wiring them?

Many thanks!
Lee

one end of each tube requires a L, and the other end requires a N. as you have that first pic arranged, it can't be done.

Yes it's possible !
If the wires come out one end ?
You have to identify the voltage used ?
And also how many circuits are in each tube
Could be 1, 2, 3, or 4 !
Then identify the polarity.
This can be done with a volt meter.

But it will be difficult for a beginner
it really requires some one with some basic electrical knowledge
Are you up to it ?

Well, the listing tells me it uses between 110 and 240 volts
I assume that's the case at the plug, but the LEDs themselves would be 12v.

I suppose how many circuits they have and the polarity can be determined when taking one apart...
So that's that then. I'll just have to buy a set and take em apart!

Looking at the connector in this photo, can I assume that it's a single circuit?
s-l1600.jpg

Also, the LEDs inside the tubes just seem to be those standard LED strips that you can cut any length, etc...

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Big clive has a load of videos on youtube about these lights. Here is one of many

Haha, great video.

I've kinda gone away from the idea of using those meteor lights.

If anyone is interested, I'm going down the route of getting 10m of LED strip (the kind of stuff that goes under your kitchen cupboards), use them in 2 lengths (back to back) inside some acrylic tubing.
The tubing will be cut to length and glued into my pretty little arrangement.
I'll power them via an LED power supply, which drops the voltage to 12v, and hopefully wire that in to a standard light switch running to the mains.
I'm guessing parallel wiring from the supply to the strips would be best?

Hope that sounds safe!

They will have to be parallel wired.

where do the eight different wires ( one from each tube) go to ?
Do they go to a box ?
can we see it please ?

On the meteor lights?
It looks like they come from a transformer which is in the plug.

s-l1600.jpg

But I've ordered a bunch of gear to go down another route. :]

Well if we don't see it we know how it turned out;)

Reply to LED Tube Lights in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net