Discuss LEDs tripping type 2MCB! in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

hoppy

-
Reaction score
hi

I have recently done a job, replacing 17 down lights in a kitchen with 17 x 10w led down lights and replacing 7 under cabinet lights with 4 x led strip light kits (4 drivers).
They are on a type 2 mcb, the downlights are split across 2 switches and the under cabinet lights are on their own switch (it's a 4 gang switch), but the Mcb trips when the under cabinet lights are turned on, but not all the time. I have IR tested the cables, all above 100 mega ohms.
So I am a bit puzzled, could this be an over load / in rush issue?

Thanks

Craig

I think its pushing the boundaries a bit, e.g. JCC installation instructions for their FGLED10, suggest limiting 'maximum no of fittings linked per circuit' to 14, on a C type 10a mcb.

So home owner switches on all the lights, like they do with one hand, will trip the mcb. What does the manufacturers of the down lights and stripe lights say? What's the combination of switching?

If the only thing that has changed is the installation of the lights then it can only have been caused by you installing the lights.

What steps did you take to establish that the existing circuit is suitable to supply this quantity of LED lights before you fitted them?

If the only thing that has changed is the installation of the lights then it can only have been caused by you installing the lights.

What steps did you take to establish that the existing circuit is suitable to supply this quantity of LED lights before you fitted them?
The total load of the new led lights is 200w it is not a load issue, so what else would I need to establish, the ir readings are good, the zs is ok.

The total load of the new led lights is 200w it is not a load issue, so what else would I need to establish, the ir readings are good, the zs is ok.

does that 200W represent the power of the leds theS elves or is it adjusted for the efficiency of the drivers, what is the inrush current for the particular drivers and how long does it last for? What do the manufacturers have to say about the maximum number of fittings per circuit?

200 w of led lights sounds very bright. Are you sure that is correct? Is this a house or a commercial premises?

The OP said he installed 17 x 10w down lights = 170w. So I'm guessing the remaining 30w is for the under cabinet lights, the ones causing the issue?

Edit; Be nice if he posted details of the troublesome luminaires.

^^ OK lets use 30W as the under cupboard lights - so best option would be to disconnect 1 lamp or transformer to see if it improves.

Wonder how many other lights are on the circuit? How many are on when it trips?

My pennies are on inrush currents...

Thanks for the replies.
Apologies been really busy, I haven't been back to the property yet, the drivers are Ngl uk ltd, input 1 amp and output 3 amp, I have no other information about them.
The circuit trips only when the under cabinet lights are o and no other lighting.
I am thinking it is the In rush current as it doesn't happen all the time and it is when they are switched on, not when they have been on for a bit.

A suggested solution: Buy some Negative Thermal Coefficient (NTC) Thermistors and insert one in series with the line feed to the LED driver. See:

ntc thermistor | Rapid Online - https://www.rapidonline.com/Catalogue/Search?query=ntc%20thermistor&filterSearchScope=1&tier=NTC%20Inrush%20Limiters

Install the NTC thermistor inside a suitable non-flammable enclosure with the thermistor not touching the sides.

An NTC thermistor has a negative thermal co-efficient which means at low temperature (eg ambient) its resistance is high, but as current flows through it and ohmic heating occurs its resistance decreases to a low value. For example for a 2A thermistor its resistance is 50Ω at zero current and at 2A 0.8Ω. At 2A and operating temperature the volt drop will be 1.6V and the power dissipated is 3.2W. See link and technical specifications and data sheets. You might want to do a trial first.

Instead of inserting the thermistor in the line feed you could also try inserting one in series with a pole of the LV output side or perhaps one in series with the feed to each LED luminaire. The former is probably a better idea because the latter might result in uneven brilliance from the luminaires.

Last edited:

Reply to LEDs tripping type 2MCB! in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock