Discuss Led's in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

nc12345

Hi guys

This main seem like a silly question but I'm not that up to date with all the led's etc
A client has asked for 3 led spike lights at the bottom of his garden.
Are there restrictions as to what length of cable you could run from a driver ?
For instance could a driver sufficiently supply three led's 25/30 metres away ?

Cheers guys , thanks to any replays in advance

With a low voltage the current is greater and this will mean more volt drop, so a long length of cable could well mean that the voltage is too low to operate the LEDs.
If possible try and keep the voltage at 230V as long as possible and fit the Tx as close as possible to the lights (or use really thick cable!).

Hi guys

This main seem like a silly question but I'm not that up to date with all the led's etc
A client has asked for 3 led spike lights at the bottom of his garden.
Are there restrictions as to what length of cable you could run from a driver ?
For instance could a driver sufficiently supply three led's 25/30 metres away ?

Cheers guys , thanks to any replays in advance

Put the driver in either an outdoor driver or put it in an ip rated adaptable box closer

Check the manufacturers instructions for max distance after driver

As a guide keep the 12v cable to around 6". Anything over 2ft will cause the voltage to drop low enough the LED won't work

i have a range of waterproof drivers available or put one in an adaptable box

Take not drivers require constant cooling! So a waterproof driver is always better

Cheers for the advice guys
I found a table on line which had cable sizes , lengths and wattages.
It states15w at the end of a run ,1.5mm will work up to 27m or 34m if dropped down to 12w
I was going to mount the driver in an IP box anyway to maximise the run
thanks again

As a guide keep the 12v cable to around 6". Anything over 2ft will cause the voltage to drop low enough the LED won't work

i have a range of waterproof drivers available or put one in an adaptable box

Take not drivers require constant cooling! So a waterproof driver is always better

6 inches max? You're joking right? Daz

12v halogens are more problematic but led wattage is so low you can get away with a lot further distances

I powered 14x 3w led at varying distances around a swimming pool to about 35m with 4mm SWA and was no problem at all

12v halogens are more problematic but led wattage is so low you can get away with a lot further distances

I powered 14x 3w led at varying distances around a swimming pool to about 35m with 4mm SWA and was no problem at all

35m isnt a very long distance to worry about volt drop.

For example in osg it recomends 50m for radial and 100m for ring

Yeah, but the whole thread has been about low voltage LEDs. Daz

I was just trying to make the point (with reference to your quote about ring main/radial lengths) that volt drop calcs will be a hell of a lot different at 230v to 12v.

If they're constant current drivers (and the LEDs are suitable), they'll compensate automatically for volt drop up to a point, dependent on the maximum output voltage of the driver.

Reply to Led's in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net