Discuss Legal Advice in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have a client who says an RCBO failed in a consumer unit I fitted. They want compensation for the repairs undertaken by another electrician. They never called me first to allow me to rectify the problem.

What rights do they have to compensation does anybody know? I would of happily undertaken the repair myself had they asked.

Thanks

Fair notification should have been given to you of the fault (if any) and an opportunity given for you to rectify the problem. Ask for more details surrounding the work undertaken and the for the faulty RCBO to be returned to you so that you can test and inspect it for the alleged faults. I very much doubt they would have any recourse for compensation due to the actions they have taken.

Please note, I'm not a solicitor or legal expert :)

No! Just a regular client. Just got a bill from them for the repairs. Contacted my insurer that said they don't cover faulty work! Wow that was news to me. Why am I insured then? Apparently they cover faulty goods though which is fortunate. The client is blaming me however. I think the RCBO failed. They said it didn't even trip?!? Sounds like the RCBO WAS faulty. I suppose I'll direct them to my insurer and see what they say.

No! Just a regular client. Just got a bill from them for the repairs. Contacted my insurer that said they don't cover faulty work! Wow that was news to me. Why am I insured then? Apparently they cover faulty goods though which is fortunate. The client is blaming me however. I think the RCBO failed. They said it didn't even trip?!? Sounds like the RCBO WAS faulty. I suppose I'll direct them to my insurer and see what they say.

Like I said I'd want proof of the RCBO being at fault, an explanation as to why you was not given an opportunity to rectify the problem, and the circumstances surrounding the occurrence of the fault before anything else happened, let alone calling insurers.

How much is the bill for ?

face them out on this. they should have reported the fault to you. even if they return the RCBO to you, how will you know it's the same one? they had a choice. either get you back to fix for free ( if it was indeed faulty) or pay someone else. as they took the latter option, they have no come back on you. sod 'em.

Are you a member of a scheme? if you are I would seek their advice.

Other wise I would wait for the "customer" to contact you in writing and then respond to the points they raise in writing.

Let them make the first move, but make sure its in writing.

How long ago was the RCBO fitted? and what make? and do you have your copy of the certificate to hand?

Someone is taking the proverbial aren't they? you installed the RCBO so you will have proof that it was OK not your fault if it failed, how long after the install until the incident? they should have given you the chance to rectify the fault, I'm not a solicitor or a legal eagle just using plain common sense.

They sent a copy of the invoice from aspect.co.uk. Says on there faulty RCBO replaced. Doesn't say why it failed. Bit strange really. I mean it could of been loose conductors in the terminals I suppose. Still. Odd that it didn't trip. He put that in writing. RCBO did not trip, which it should have if power was lost? It was the ring circuit for the kitchen. I think they should have called me. I would have come out immediately. It was a few months ago as well. Don't know why they left it so long to pursue the claim.

as both me and pete said. sod 'em. and take note of murdoch's advice. NIL ILLEGITEMAE CARBORUNDUM ( in other words don't let them have your pants down).

your warranty should only be 12 months, anyway. also, you don't know if they have been subjecting it to overload and repeated tripping thus causing it to fail. email them a picture of a push bike. tell them to get on it.

So... you installed a RCBO 18 months ago, then they called in a 3rd party to identify and fix an issue, then they passed the £450 invoice to you?

I would politely suggest:

A. The part was out of warranty

B. Why didn't they call you to investigate?

C. Decline to pay the invoice as you weren't given the opportunity to fix it they took responsibility to call in a 3rd party

Then site back....

And really £450 to replace a RCBO - was it gold plated?

£450?????? should not have been over £100 tops. someone is taking the pi$$. tell them to do one.

They sent a copy of the invoice from aspect.co.uk. Says on there faulty RCBO replaced. Doesn't say why it failed. Bit strange really. I mean it could of been loose conductors in the terminals I suppose. Still. Odd that it didn't trip. He put that in writing. RCBO did not trip, which it should have if power was lost? It was the ring circuit for the kitchen. I think they should have called me. I would have come out immediately. It was a few months ago as well. Don't know why they left it so long to pursue the claim.
450 scrots for changing an RCBO Aspect is that one of those do all outfits?

I'd direct them to your complaints procedure. And as part of that you can remind them of your terms of trade.
Which should include your warranty period and the procedure should they have any issues.

Thanks for all your advice! As for complaints procedures, mine is to fly round and fix whatever the problem is! I would have if they'd called me!
Backs up against the wall at the moment as I'm not working due to sick relative. Really could do without some small claims, stress hassle etc. Think I'll point them in the direction of my insurance company and see if they twist it into a faulty equipment problem! Perhaps the insurance company will ask them if they consulted me first at which point they'll have to admit they didn't.

Hopefully they will go away..

Reply to Legal Advice in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net