Discuss let's ask our local coucils to use PV for their buildings in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

solarcat

As most of us are struggling for work whilst we all know PV makes perfect financial sense...let's ask our local council to install PV systems on their local building!

This obviously means saving public money in teh longer term, whilst it can revive local renewable energy companies!

What do you think?

The council fat cats are more interested in lining their own pockets than saving the tax payers money and creating work for local business's...

As most of us are struggling for work whilst we all know PV makes perfect financial sense...let's ask our local council to install PV systems on their local building!

This obviously means saving public money in teh longer term, whilst it can revive local renewable energy companies!

What do you think?

What did yours say?

Good idea in theory but the budgets are set in February for the whole of the next financial year so the boat has been missed by some councils. Others who have decided to take the plunge will have to go out to tender at least in the UK and usually across the whole of Europe which often means that the local little guys don't get a chance to install.

To give you some idea the tender writing process can take a couple of months by the time it's gone between departments and cabinets, followed by pre tender for about a month and tender for another couple of months, final announcement of installer followed by more months of negotiation, changed prices and procrastination.

It's not a daft idea but it would need to be implemented by politicians and local government officers - need I say any more :)

We have just tried to do this, but fell at the first hurdle, the sad part of it was that the systems were going to be funded too, a kind of local owned rent a roof type scheme.
The buffoons just bleat on about procurement and authorised tenders lists, the projects we were proposing would have helped the local schools, strange though, the schools send letters home almost weekly with my daughter asking for money for this, that or the other...

I thought I had a contract for a local school in the bag, but the education authority, who were lending them the money, insisted they use their approved contractor, even though that quote was significantly higher than mine.
Of course, I'm sure the process of getting on the approved contractor lists is all above board and the stories I've heard of back handers and favours are just idle gossip.

Sorry to say it cost you a lot more to get a council contract than you think, we are going full site health and safety where each installer has to have their card, qualification to be qualified, we are talking full trees of paperwork, then we are talking about prefered supplier list (this one can be overcome), tenders, lah lah lah, sorry to day before you get the scaffold up you are too far gone, council / public sector work takes time.

In the end it is worth while but it will not put a bandaid on the economy or those struggling now,

on a possitive not in the next week or so it will pick up for you enquiries wise, negative note is a lot will be fighting for the same Job :(

Thank you all for your feedback,

so I guess for this year either it's been planned for already or the train has been missed.

Just really think PV makes even more sense for all public buildings as it will eventually mean better public finances! Hopefully our politicians will think the same too...

a few letters from us to remind them won't hurt though!

Reply to let's ask our local coucils to use PV for their buildings in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock