Discuss Level of qualification needed to obtain licence? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D Skelton

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I am genuinely interested to see what others thoughts are on this matter.

Hypothetically speaking, the government disbands the current scam schemes and puts out to tender a GasSafe style system for electricians. Costs are lower, standards maintained, enforcement carried out blah blah blah.... Lets just say the new system is hunky dory for arguments sake. The main difference however is that in order to practise as an electrician in the UK, you now legally have to hold an electricians licence. The word 'electrician' is also protected by statute from fraudulent and unlawful use and only useable by licence holders.

I want to know what qualifications you guys think an individual would have to posses in order to gain a licence and be legally allowed to call themselves an electrician.

I want to make it clear that I'm not into this becoming a Electrical Trainee bashing thread, I am genuinely interested as to be honest, I am currently on the fence and would like to hear your views.

I would of thought even tho I won't be popular that what ever it is it should be renewed every 5 or so years and be modular i.e qual for domestic separate one for commercial and so on.

What are your thoughts on the matter

I would probably say your 17th regs, NVQ3, 2394/95 or 2391, or a min level of three for testing etc. I think it's probably fair to say you have to draw the line somewhere and saying you must have 2391 or equivalent will turf out a chunk.

I would say anyone who had gone as far as obtaining 2391, 94/95 genuinely has a passion / vested interest in wanting to learn the trade and is seen to have me some form of recognised effort.

I know there's a lot of very qualified by experience people out there who do not have 2391 who would then possibly end up peeved off.

Just my opinion.

I would probably say your 17th regs, NVQ3, 2394/95 or 2391, or a min level of three for testing etc. I think it's probably fair to say you have to draw the line somewhere and saying you must have 2391 or equivalent will turf out a chunk.

I would say anyone who had gone as far as obtaining 2391, 94/95 genuinely has a passion / vested interest in wanting to learn the trade and is seen to have me some form of recognised effort.

I know there's a lot of very qualified by experience people out there who do not have 2391 who would then possibly end up peeved off.

Just my opinion.

Completely disagree mate. It's a common misconception that the 2391/94/95 sorts the wheat from the chaff. Too many 5WWs hold it as they have been schooled for the exam and dragged through it on their course.

I specifically left this qual out of the poll for this very reason :)

I would say the JIB grading system has had definitions well clarified for a long time. This would make a good starting point in any further official discussions imo.

Out of interest on this topic. I sat my trade test and a couple of weeks later I got sent through my "craftsmans certificate" which indicated I was now qualified to svq level 3. Is the certificate just a scottish thing? Obviously the svq and nvq are the same thing. As soon as you have that you are essentially a qualified spark. But that doesn't mean you know anything it just means you can pass a preordained examination. I would personally go down the competency renewal every 5 or so years. Just to make sure you are up on the latest regs and current advances in the industry

For me it is the 2391 , not sure about 2394 / 2395 as I thought these were just a watered down version of the 2391 for all the side trackers that now infest our once proud industry !
I hope I am wrong about them being watered down , but if judging by the last bloke that " was " employed by us with these qualifications I very much doubt it !?

Out of interest on this topic. I sat my trade test and a couple of weeks later I got sent through my "craftsmans certificate" which indicated I was now qualified to svq level 3. Is the certificate just a scottish thing? Obviously the svq and nvq are the same thing. As soon as you have that you are essentially a qualified spark. But that doesn't mean you know anything it just means you can pass a preordained examination. I would personally go down the competency renewal every 5 or so years. Just to make sure you are up on the latest regs and current advances in the industry

I have to admit my ignorance on what the 'SVQ' actually is. The English NVQ3 contains the practical as well as just the theory. You have to sit the course, learn the science and principles, pass the exams, complete practical exams, complete an on site portfolio (proof of experience) and after all that, do a 4 day AM2 practical and theory to show you can put into practice everything you have learned over four years.

Is the SVQ the same as this? If so then yeah, I guess this is what you need to be a 'fully' qualified spark :)

For me it is the 2391 , not sure about 2394 / 2395 as I thought these were just a watered down version of the 2391 for all the side trackers that now infest our once proud industry !
I hope I am wrong about them being watered down , but if judging by the last bloke that " was " employed by us with these qualifications I very much doubt it !?

Read my post #5 mate.

If anything the new 94 and 95 combined is a tiny weeny bit harder than the 2391 IMHO, but it is still pi$$ easy for any spark worth his weight.

Completely disagree mate. It's a common misconception that the 2391/94/95 sorts the wheat from the chaff. Too many 5WWs hold it as they have been schooled for the exam and dragged through it on their course.

I specifically left this qual out of the poll for this very reason :)

Can you just clarify for me what your option 1 on the poll is. I have the the 2356, I think is that been replaced by the 2357. What other qualifications are in the diploma? Thanks.

As already mentioned,there would have to be divisions made to identify areas of "expertise",which invariably would mean multiple tests/qualification requirements etc,for the lads who bridge the domestic/industrial/commercial industries. These additions would in all probability carry separate time and cost implications. This would only result in a similar scenario to today,where lads either do not bother (and this will ALWAYS apply) or have to carry the cost burden whilst competing against those who,as said,do not bother. Your strive for a solution is admirable,but you will always have to accept a certain compromise. That said,your striving will always have my support.

Read my post #5 mate.

If anything the new 94 and 95 combined is a tiny weeny bit harder than the 2391 IMHO, but it is still pi$$ easy for any spark worth his weight.

I started typing at post 2 , and it had already got to post 8 by the time I had finished !
Now you can see why I have no website !!!! :leaving:

Posting Quick Reply - Please Wait
I do not mind admitting that I found the 2391 far from a doddle , admittedly I passed first time with flying colours . but over half the class did not , mind it was near on 10 years ago now so maybe standards have dropped ?

Can you just clarify for me what your option 1 on the poll is. I have the the 2356, I think is that been replaced by the 2357. What other qualifications are in the diploma? Thanks.

2356 is the NVQ, the 2357 is the new replacement, so yes, if you have the tech cert (2330), the NVQ (2356) and the AM2 then you would be classed in my eyes as a fully qualified spark.

It is important to note the difference between the 2356 and the 2365. Both entirely different lol

Unfortunately I don't have the 2330, but we all have to start somewhere. I suppose the other option would be that you have to sit in front of a panel of people such as your good self and be interegated until you have been bled dry then apply some of your knowledge to a really nasty test rig or something.

I started typing at post 2 , and it had already got to post 8 by the time I had finished !
Now you can see why I have no website !!!! :leaving:

Haha, no worries bud :)

Posting Quick Reply - Please Wait
I do not mind admitting that I found the 2391 far from a doddle , admittedly I passed first time with flying colours . but over half the class did not , mind it was near on 10 years ago now so maybe standards have dropped ?

Nothing to be ashamed of there mate, the thing is, in your day people were schooled to achieve a certain level of knowledge, exams were harder to pass, standard of work was higher!

Nowadays, the exams are still the same (hardness wise), but people are schooled to pass the exams rather than to achieve a certain level of knowledge, exams are easier to pass but the standard of work is lower.

Put it all back to where it was, and still is in Jocklandshire.
Run by the JIB/SJIB and defined descriptions of the grades including the one about an electrician cannot work on his own. Needs to be approved.
The system was not broken so why did they try to fix it (fixit, geezzz).

Boydy

I suppose though like anything, bits of paper are not always the best answer, someone might have no qualifications, but can demonstrate better skills and have more hands on experience. But for a way of obtaining a licence it's not going to work saying how many rewires have you done (clearly we will know who would own licence number 10000001 if it did work that way) so it really would have to be by way of recognised qualification.

Reply to Level of qualification needed to obtain licence? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock