Discuss Level of qualification needed to obtain licence? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Like I mentioned before, you can't take the SVQ3 Electrical Installation course in Scotland unless you are employed as an apprentice, every college says the same. The course lasts 3 or 4 years depending on how the candidate progresses. Heres a breakdown of each year:

The Apprentice Training Scheme is carried out in 3 Stages.
Stage 1This consists of 17 weeks of block release at a local college. The typical pattern
commences in August with 5 weeks at college, and a further 3 blocks of 4 weeks before July the following year. Site experience is gained in between the college attendance.

Skills learned will be both practical and theoretical, e.g. health and safety, wiring systems, wiring enclosures, installation regulations, etc.

Stage 2This consists of 11 weeks of block release, again at a local college, with site experience gained in between the college attendance.

Skills learned will be both practical and theoretical, e.g. cable selection, motors, Electrical Installation projects, etc.

Stage 3This consists of site experience with one week at college.

Skills learned, e.g. assessment of safe working practices, safe isolation, inspection, testing and commissioning of electrical installations.

I have no NVQ3 and thats exactly how I would have done it........If I could be bothered, but to be honest I dont want an NVQ

Or is it because you would struggle to complete one?

If someone offered you the opportunity to do one cheap as chips are you honestly telling me you would turn it down?

Or is it because you would struggle to complete one?

If someone offered you the opportunity to do one cheap as chips are you honestly telling me you would turn it down?
Well probably not because I like to get new quals, but I looked into the one advertised on here for £600 and thought, no, dont want it would rather spend the money elsewhere. Would I struggle to pass it? I hope not because if that were the case perhaps I should be doing something else for a living.

Never. I'll bet my house on it!

Your most likely right, and to be honest please dont stop your passionate fight for what you feel is right, I agree with most of your points by the way. Im now going to watch some breaking bad with me tea which by now is probably burnt to a crisp.

todays nvq L3 isnt worth a crap if were being honest but......

it does allow those who are not employed as cards-in apprentices to accumilate proof of on-site skills development , so it does deserve some credit.

And the JIB have decided , rightly or wrongly , that the nvq is now their benchmark requirement to full grade and are not going to budge an inch so were stuck with it.

although it is very unfortunate that their scottish counterparts arent recognising the different paths into the industry but thats for the scots to sort out themselves thus isnt a country wide issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't wait or the breaking bad spin off series with Soul as the main man, should be out soon I hope

LOLZ !!!

just looking through the poll results shows overwhelming votes in favour of the higher skills requirement of the nvq + am2 needed for a sparks "licence"...........

just like the JIBs requirements then ;-D

its nice to come full circle again lol

hmm i don't think its fair for older sparks like me to be told they need to do nvq3 as in go back to an aprentiship working under someone. Even though the gate has been open for too long for any cowboys to get recognised i would rather an option too show proof of trading for minimum years before a certain date.

well....as i sees it the government wont go there when it comes to even contemplating a Electrical Trainee gas man.....

too much comeback (although i know now of several kev`s that actively carry out gas work in folks`s properties......at least they do a drop test)...

so......

hmm i don't think its fair for older sparks like me to be told they need to do nvq3 as in go back to an aprentiship working under someone. Even though the gate has been open for too long for any cowboys to get recognised i would rather an option too show proof of trading for minimum years before a certain date.

Depends when you completed your time. If an AM2 or NVQ wasn't needed at that time then there should be no need for holding them now!! The new core qualification is a very different animal to the Lv3 2360 that i took. In those days you finished your time having the appropriate trade skills gained during the apprenticeship, there were no AM2 or NVQs . Alas that's not generally the case with today's students, many of which will have little to no work skills/experience, hence the need for Lv 3 AM2/NVQ's....

Perhaps the JIB should introduce another grade, at the bottom end of the grading system but above a labour say a domestic electrician lo

No bloody way, ...you are then back on the slippery path of deskilling. It leaves the door wide open for others to want to start lowering all the grades to suit their own purposes....

The present grades have been around a long time now, and has on the whole, served the industry well.

Reply to Level of qualification needed to obtain licence? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock