• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Light blew, flipped switch, replaced switch/fuse but still no lights... help! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

BenSW19

Hello friends,

I own a shop in Wimbledon and upon entering the shop I turned on the light switches when one of the bulbs blew out and shorted all of the wall and ceiling lights of the shop. Electrical wall plugs still working but all lights are not working even after flipping the switch that got flipped off, and also after replacing the switch which presumably has a fuse inside.

It being the bank holiday weekend there are no electricians available to help... can anyone please provide me some insights/guidance on how I might be able to fix this myself?

Many thanks in advance.

Ben

Probably tripped the RCD at the CU location, just a guess. Reason? may be a lamp went US

Thanks gentlemen! Please pardon me as I google (translate) what your response means and try to make sense of your very kind reply!

Okay I now understand what an RCD is, but there is no RCD on the switch. I can't seem to figure out what CU location is (sorry!)

Thanks gentlemen! Please pardon me as I google (translate) what your response means and try to make sense of your very kind reply!
Go to the CU (fuse board) see if the main switch RCD is in the OFF position, its entirely possible that switching the office lights on when you came in this morning, a lamp had failed and caused a fault, which only came to light when you restored power, try and switch the lights off, and if the RCD has tripped switch it on, if it was a faulty lamp and the lights are off you should be able to identify the dud lamp and replace it, good luck.

Thanks again. I do have another question: If our CU doesn't have an RCD on any of the switches, is it possible that ALL of them are now blown? Only one of the switches was flipped down after the light initially blew.

It is possible the mcb (switch) has failed internally, does it feel the same as the others when you turn it on and off.

Thanks again. I do have another question: If our CU doesn't have an RCD on any of the switches, is it possible that ALL of them are now blown? Only one of the switches was flipped down after the light initially blew.
That was more than likely a circuit breaker, A typical CU by today standard would have 2 RCDs and however many circuit breakers depends on how many circuits you have, typically in a house 1 RCD would cover, say cooker 1 socket circuit 1 lighting circuit the other RCD would cover 1 Shower, 1 socket circuit and 1 lighting circuit. That's a basic design of course all houses are not the same so the number of circuits would vary. I it wasn't a lamp causing the problem it could be a wiring problem, don't try and mess with it yourself get an Electrician in, shouldn't be that difficult to find the fault, said me with my fingers crossed behind my back.Typical Consumers Unit Layout of - - Yahoo Image Search Results - https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A0LEV7oFD_JYED0A36MnnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTByMjB0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=Typical+Consumers+Unit+Layout+of&fr=yhs-mozilla-102&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-102#id=3&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eec247.com%2Femergency%2F17th_ed_board_type_2.jpg&action=click

Thanks gents. I changed the 4th switch from the left as that was the only switch that was flipped. The RCD all the way to the right was not flipped.

Light blew, flipped switch, replaced switch/fuse but still no lights... help! fuxebox - EletriciansForums.net

Oh I thought the large switch all the way to the right may have been the RCD but I guess not... indeed this is only for the lights and the only other board is a separate main switch

I agree with Andy there must be another board judging by the supply cable of the board you have posted a pic of.

Reply to Light blew, flipped switch, replaced switch/fuse but still no lights... help! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back