Discuss light bulbs keep blowing in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Grant M

I've got a situation where a property keeps blowing bulbs, as in they need to be replaced every couple of weeks. I measure 248v, could that be the problem? Could the problem be external to the property? Apparently the flat above has the same problem.

What possible solution could there be? I've thought about installing lights that are 12v, or LED, hoping that the transformers or drivers might deal with the issue. What other options are there?

Thanks,
GrantM.

It's probably the voltage, if you are getting 248v volts when testing it could be even higher at other times, though 248v would certainly shorten the life .
Could be cheap lamps or poor fittings over heating.

As 248v is within tolerance (just) there is not much to be be done really. It might be worth a chat with your dno though.

Hi,

Every couple of weeks seems a little odd. A lot of properties have voltages getting towards 250v, even my parents has 248v.

If your house and the one above have this issue, although a light bulb is quite straight forward and nothing really to go wrong, the fact that you are having lamps blow every couple of weeks would make me think there is some kind of surge maybe or prolonged periods of voltages in excess of 250v.

I have no idea really, but just stabbing in the dark.

How many bulbs are you having to replace every couple of weeks in total would you say?

I have a local area where the voltage is high and lamps keep failing and have not been able to offer any solution other than use lamps that can take a voltage range on input, multinational LED and CFL lamps can often take up to 260-280 V input and may be less likely to fail. Incandescent lamps will just have a shorter life.

Also, uksparks may have a point re how often. Quite often the client thinks that they are blowing more than they actually are.
Last summer I was called to a house for the same reason, 'my bulbs keep blowing'. One of the lamps on a 3 spot cluster had blown and according to the customer had only been changed the previous week. On looking though it was a non branded lamp supplied with the fitting over 3 years previously. (she had a stock of Homebase lamps she was using)
I told her to write down what lamps were blowing and when, I also advised her to get some branded lamps and to get back to me if the problem persists.
Not heard anything yet.

What type of lamps, specifically, are failing? Is there vibration present?

Cheap European imported lamps with a lower voltage rating won't help when your voltage is high ish. Some lamps are specifically rated at 240V and these may fare better. LEDs would help I think. Other than that get a spark to extend your meter tails by 100 metres! That last bit is a joke!

Half the time the fittings are the issue , had a few calls and see old story lamps keep blowing , the very narrow design of the shades and the downward facing ones are the worst , usually having golf ball or candle lamps , the heat can't dissipate , quite often I find the caps have been left in the fitting where the heat has separated it from the glass and when you get it out the colour of the base shows the lamp has been subject to excessive heat , the answer always has to be LED lamps to reduce the heat ...

First post on the forum so be gentle!

Just to add a personal experience to this thread, although poor quality lamps could be the issue, I did find that a loose connection in the circuit was the reason for frequent lamps blowing on a job. Possibly due to a higher than expected current being drawn through the filament, although not as bad to trip mobs.

I was drinking with a retired engineer recently who swore the most common reason for filament bulbs going is people walking around upstairs making the filaments wobble... May be some truth to this?
I investigated a house last week where the "LED candle bulbs kept going every couple of weeks". In the end it was apparently 2 bulbs that had gone, not LEDs and not screwed in tightly (and candle bulbs as well).

If I got paid for the amount of times customers have (unwittingly) mis-led me I'd retire tonight :)

Had a DIYer this week who I 'suspect' connected a yellow (off 3-core) light cable to the cpc when moving the switch out of zone (without RCD protection) then forced the MCB against it's will, under fault, breaking it & nearly burnt the whole system down. Apparently he "just replaced everything in the switch like for like". Hmmm

IMG_20161124_085321.jpg

I was drinking with a retired engineer recently who swore the most common reason for filament bulbs going is people walking around upstairs making the filaments wobble... May be some truth to this?
I investigated a house last week where the "LED candle bulbs kept going every couple of weeks". In the end it was apparently 2 bulbs that had gone, not LEDs and not screwed in tightly (and candle bulbs as well).

If I got paid for the amount of times customers have (unwittingly) mis-led me I'd retire tonight :)

Had a DIYer this week who I 'suspect' connected a yellow (off 3-core) light cable to the cpc when moving the switch out of zone (without RCD protection) then forced the MCB against it's will, under fault, breaking it & nearly burnt the whole system down. Apparently he "just replaced everything in the switch like for like". Hmmm

View attachment 34739
Does the idiot who "forced" the cb on still have all of his fingers? what a pr=t

Reply to light bulbs keep blowing in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net