Discuss Light fittings in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I think we all know just how much a pain fitting fancy light fittings that home owners have bought, "and could you pop around and fit them for me"

A friend of mine had been burgled recently, and a right mess the scrots made of it, she had bought these fittings from a large very posh kitchen outfit, and I was, if I'm being honest dreading going around to her house. Camerabloke came with me as I am limited to what I can do at the moment, and we were both pleasantly surprised how well made and easy to install these fittings, an hour later 5 fittings put up and £60 to the better, job done, beer time. I had better mention that Camerabloke did most of the work I was relegated to going back to being a gofer, otherwise he will only start when he gets home .

The customer provided light fittings that weren't a total pain to install ?
I'm sorry mate I think you've overcharged. I'd have paid the customer !

I never charged her at all, the money was thrust in my pocket, refusal to accept was a non starter, as she was very emphatic about paying us, so there was no overcharging on our part. What would you have done? walked away, I think not.

I did a charity job about 15 years ago, I was asked to put a cooker point in a bungalow for an old lady in her 80's. I supplied everything, 5m cable, 2nd hand cooker point, new breaker etc and installed it for her on the Saturday morning.
I honestly felt sorry for the poor old dear and it being a charity job ( literally for a local charity ) I expected no payment.
The lady from the charity who was supervising the event told me that when the old dear offered to pay me I must charge her a token amount otherwise she'd be offended, £5 should do it.
Job done, kettle on, one very happy old dear, what a nice young man I am etc etc.
How much do I owe you?
£5 I said expecting her to be happy.
How Much??
£5
How do you justify that? You dog robbing b*****d!! That's a weeks wages!!

She offered me a pound in the end and I took it
Poor old dear had lost the plot.
It still makes me chuckle thinking about it.

I did a charity job about 15 years ago, I was asked to put a cooker point in a bungalow for an old lady in her 80's. I supplied everything, 5m cable, 2nd hand cooker point, new breaker etc and installed it for her on the Saturday morning.
I honestly felt sorry for the poor old dear and it being a charity job ( literally for a local charity ) I expected no payment.
The lady from the charity who was supervising the event told me that when the old dear offered to pay me I must charge her a token amount otherwise she'd be offended, £5 should do it.
Job done, kettle on, one very happy old dear, what a nice young man I am etc etc.
How much do I owe you?
How Much??
£5

My mum has altshiemers and it sort of comes and goes at the moment. Took her shopping to asda got a trolly full of stuff she offered the girl on the till a fiver LOL good job I had some cash on me. She even took the change
She now pays by card and says she is a loverly woman I show her my card and she dosent even charge me.

Pete999 makes a change to see fancy fittings that are easy to install most are often a chalenge to fit correctly with loverly instructions like wrap conector in tape and shove in ceiling.

I recently got asked by my mum, who works at a private subscription library which is also a listed building to fit some light there. They had purchased them from B&Q and quite fancy lights. So much dread I turned up expecting a load of tosh, to my surprise there was plenty of room to get all the connections in, even with it being wired in loop in loop out.

How much do I owe you?
How Much??
£5

you should have said " ok then, lets call it a shilling"

I never charged her at all, the money was thrust in my pocket, refusal to accept was a non starter, as she was very emphatic about paying us, so there was no overcharging on our part. What would you have done? walked away, I think not.

Pete it was meant as a joke mate. I meant that finding fittings that were not awful to install is such a rarity that your customer should have been paid comission for it.
No aspersions on you at all.

Pete it was meant as a joke mate. I meant that finding fittings that were not awful to install is such a rarity that your customer should have been paid comission for it.
No aspersions on you at all.

Wasn't entirely sure if it was a joke just a knee jerk response nothing meant

I recently done a similar 'charity' £20 job for an old doll. I was there for a few hours. I hadn't the heart to charge her much, i found out later on her deceased husband owned a string of shops and had left her a fortune, she could have bought and sold me ten times over ...... oh well.

Reply to Light fittings in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net