Discuss light switch metal faceplate to plastic casing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mitesh14

Hi Guys,

First time here so sorry for posting the most basic of questions.

I have just moved into an old central London building and want to replace my ancient single plastic light switches with modern nickel metal ones from B&Q.

I isolated the power to the flat and opened up the switch and the faceplate is plastic and the casing is plastic so wondering if having plastic casing to metal faceplate can be done.

I have a red and black/brown wire running from the casing wired to the switch but the green wire which I'm presuming is earth is screwed into the casing.

I have uploaded some pics of the current wiring the way it is and the back of the new switch for your ease.

What would I need to do here to have the metal faceplate to plastic casing and how would I need to run the earth wire and does it need to be screwed onto the metal switch.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks,

Mitesh

View attachment 35929

View attachment 35930

View attachment 35931

View attachment 35932

View attachment 35933

View attachment 35934

View attachment 35935

The new metal switch needs to be earthed, the terminal on the left in your last picture, that is attached to the faceplate of the new switch, is the earth terminal.

However, OP it may be a good idea to have these switches installed by a competent qualified electrician.

The new metal switch needs to be earthed, the terminal on the left in your last picture, that is attached to the faceplate of the new switch, is the earth terminal.

However, OP it may be a good idea to have these switches installed by a competent qualified electrician.

Agreed. The earth may be visually present, but verification of continuity is always a good idea.

That's got to be the record for number of the same photo! Mitesh14 you win the prize which consists of 12cm of 1mm green and yellow single and an eyelet crimp! Enjoy!
Of the advice given I would recommend you get a qualified to do a quick check on CPC continuity and either flylead or depend on metaL 3.5s to the metal back box. The importance IS knowing that the CPC does what it is supposed to do.
CPC ( continuous protective conductor)

That's it, I'm giving up - if I can't get that right . . . and I only did that for the OP! Whilst we are onto acronyms, what is IIRC when someone posts? It took me ages to work out AFAIK but IIRC has got me!
And what does KMF in a switch fuse stand for.
Thanks in advance.
Circuit, not continuous. Although it should be continuous in nature if not name.

That's it, I'm giving up - if I can't get that right . . . and I only did that for the OP! Whilst we are onto acronyms, what is IIRC when someone posts? It took me ages to work out AFAIK but IIRC has got me!
Thanks in advance.

IIRC, if I remember correctly, I googled it :). KMF switch fuse, means kiss my face switch fuse, used if you have just beaten someone. No idea what that's got to do with electrics :rolleyes:

Quote by Lucien Nunes;

It's a manufacturer's code used as a generic name. For over half a century the MEM catalogue numbers for this popular style of switchfuse have been xxKMF or xxxKMF. So as Hoover came to mean vacuum cleaner, KMF is used to mean an all-insulated cartridge switchfuse

What is a KMF please?...Was reading about switch fuses when extending tails. Thanks - http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/threads/what-is-a-kmf-please-was-reading-about-switch-fuses-when-extending-tails-thanks.91431/

IIRC, if I remember correctly, I googled it :). KMF switch fuse, means kiss my face switch fuse, used if you have just beaten someone. No idea what that's got to do with electrics :rolleyes:

Quote by Lucien Nunes;

It's a manufacturer's code used as a generic name. For over half a century the MEM catalogue numbers for this popular style of switchfuse have been xxKMF or xxxKMF. So as Hoover came to mean vacuum cleaner, KMF is used to mean an all-insulated cartridge switchfuse

What is a KMF please?...Was reading about switch fuses when extending tails. Thanks - http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/threads/what-is-a-kmf-please-was-reading-about-switch-fuses-when-extending-tails-thanks.91431/

Yep it's a bit like the way 16mmx25mm minitrunking gets called YT2 or MT2 after the MK and Marshall Tufflex product codes.

i've noticed in the USB double socket outlets that it advises not to megger the circuit as it could damage - I guess no one Told the Chinese that megger is a brand name.

Thanks in advance.
Just become a plumber. Might have a chance then

I've just bought a new boiler which refers to meggering the circuit. I think it was the boiler, something anyway. I was stumped as I don't have a megger tester . I could Fluke it?

Reply to light switch metal faceplate to plastic casing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net