Discuss Light switch stuck to wall in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

What would you code a light switch that has no box whatsoever? it literally is stuck to the surface of the wall. It seems that it was once installed correctly but then the owners insulated the house with celotex and a plaster skim and instead of cutting in a new box they just pulled the wires through the celotex and stuck the switch to the surface using expanding foam and/or whatever else they could find.
What reg would it be contravening.

Thanks in advance

I was also stuck on this one as one could consider that the connections are in an enclosure formed from the building fabric. In the end I coded one of them C3, the other one that came out of the other side of the wall I coded C1 as you could put your hand on the live terminals!
If the wires are buried in insulation then this could also be a problem, but not really for a single light switch (unless it was a dimmer in insulation).

Welcome to the forum by the way!

think your right to give this a code 3.Not really dangerous, but have you ticked the adequacy of fixings box .Also the accessories are not fitted in a suitable enclosure.

Reply to Light switch stuck to wall in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I'm installing smart modules in my light switches which means I need to replace the existing 25mm back boxes with 47mm ones. Downstairs all walls...
Replies
Views
I bought this house a couple months ago. It was built in 1952 (same as me) but has been rewired with yellow 12 awg Romex dated 2007. Looks like a...
Replies
Views
L
WIRING FOR WALL SMART SWITCH FOR CEILING FAN/LIGHT Just bought a smart wall switch for a ceiling fan/light currently connected to a single switch...
Replies
Views
littletwinn
L
First, sorry if I'm not in the correxct thread. I'm trying to replace an old switch with a WIFI switch and cannot seem to do it right. There are...
Replies
Views
Hi New to this forum, Just looking for some advise as a DIY person. I have recently purchased a new home. I have come across a wall light which...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock