Discuss Light switches question. Only very quick! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Join the single red with one of the twin reds. In a 20amp joint box. Make sure you terminate the other red in the spare terminal as that will come live when light is off.

Just had a closer look at picture and you can see the straps have been wired in twin red so if u join one of the straps to the single red it will work

Last edited:
This is been my point all away along if it was gas would not dream of touching it.
As long as the likes of B&Q Homebase etc are allowed to sell Electrical installation kit to Joe public, it will continue, funnily enough I was at the Orange shed to buy some paint, and found my self inexorably draw to the Electrical area, you know sort of an addictive thing, Mr and Miss / Mrs were up there asking a spotty youth what they needed to wire some extra sockets in their house, couldn't watch had to Foxtrot Oscar PDQ before I upset someone.

As long as the likes of B&Q Homebase etc are allowed to sell Electrical installation kit to Joe public, it will continue, funnily enough I was at the Orange shed to buy some paint, and found my self inexorably draw to the Electrical area, you know sort of an addictive thing, Mr and Miss / Mrs were up there asking a spotty youth what they needed to wire some extra sockets in their house, couldn't watch had to Foxtrot Oscar PDQ before I upset someone.
You're quite right Pete once upon a time you would only see light fittings, white or decretive replacement switches & sockets.

Why does everyone think electrics is so easy and when a simple job goes wrong they want free advice. Getting qualified wasn't free ya know
Made me smile and reminded me of several late Saturday afternoon calls Ive had usually from family. Goes something like this. "Went shopping this morning with the wife and bought a new light fitting for the main room. Simple job so I put it up myself." Yeah, then what? "Well I connected all the reds together and all the blacks together (old colour days) because I know you cant mix 'em, switched the electric back on and it seemed all right, then I switched the light switch on and it went bang." Quick shout to my partner, won't be long and off I go. Always good for your street cred though.;)

Reply to Light switches question. Only very quick! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net