Discuss lighting circuit advice in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

-
Reaction score
some advice needed please. if u have been asked to change a light fitting to one of those fancy lights which can only take one cable and i have 4 cables in a celling rose how do you go about it?

After searching throuht so many forums i have noticed many sparks cant agree on whats accessible as the 17th says to use maintenance free junction boxes in un accessible places so would under a floor board be accessible or un accessible? would be nice to know how u guys go about wiring lighting circuits in a domestic situation do u use normaly jbs or mf ones?

Thanks to those to take the time to help

whats wrong with using connectors inside the light fitting base ?

You would need more the room for them :)

Last edited by a moderator:
good point but some fittings just isint big enough for that so what then lol

if the joint is in the accessable roof void a JB can be used and cables clipped
if the joint below a floor then MF JB should be used (i am not one that cuts a big hole behind the light to stuff my connectors or JB up :))

Last edited by a moderator:
have to ever had any problems with normaly jbs after all these years b4 these mf came out? is it true the screws can come lose over time?

It is very rare to come across a decorative light fitting that you cannot terminate behind the securing plate, is it possible for you to post a picture of the new fitting and the existing ceiling rose wiring?

have to ever had any problems with normaly jbs after all these years b4 these mf came out? is it true the screws can come lose over time?

I personally never have come across a issue with loose terminals in a JB in my works but i do see the need for MF JB (i have come across many- burnt terminals in sockets, lights and shower pullcords so know the results from a loose screw)

line products M/F enclosure with M/F connectors. stuff it up the hole and forget about it.

Perhaps I have misunderstood but 559.6.1.5 ... the installer shall ensure that the fixing means is capable of supporting the mass of the pendant luminaire.

Crimp, shrink - then stuff it back up in the hole.

Reply to lighting circuit advice in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock