Discuss Lighting circuit loops in the home in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

poderoop

Hi,

Looking for some advice please.

2 years ago we had an extension completed. Today I have gone to change some light switches in the extension and found that one 2 gang switch has been used with a permanent live coming in to switch one. This then has loop one piggybacked from it. Loop one has a total load of 14w. When switched, this switch also feeds the bathroom fan. These cables are 1.5 twin and earth. From switch one there is a jumper core over to switch 2. When switched, switch 2 feeds the bathrooms lights which have a total load of 10w (LED bulbs). From this switch there are a further 2 loops piggybacked (loop 2 and loop 3). Loop 2 has a load of 40w (LED bulbs). Loop 3 has a total load of 150w. These are also twin and earth.

I am not concerned about the load on these switches as they are rated at 6amps and are connected to a 16amp circuit breaker. However, my main concerns are the neutrals and earths are all tied in to respective choc block terminations behind the switch (in the plasterboard box). There does not appear to have been any junction box used and five cables come in to the plasterboard box. Space is very tight to the point that the jumper core has been rubbing on a choc block and the bare core is showing through the insulation. I have rectified this using insulation tape - is this okay?

My other question is, are there any legal requirements for the amount of circuits that can be fed using this lightswitch and are there any legal requirements stipulating that a junction box should be used? All help and advice gratefully received.
Lighting circuit loops in the home {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Its not unusual and it is OK to a point. But in your case it has gone past acceptable. All the regs say about connections, is that they should be accessible, so not having JB's is fine. You can have as many circuits as you want from the one switch as long as the fuse or circuit breaker is rated for the cable.

But there comes a point where common sense must prevail, and if there are so many cables installed into such a small place that they are getting damaged, then whoever installed it is a cowboy. It shouldn't be too difficult to sort out, but you may need a spark to do it for you. When i have come across crap like this i have removed the Neutrals and earths and terminated them into a JB behind the switch back box if there is space, then drop the dry line switchbox back in and terminate the lives. You can only do this if there is space and no insulation in the way in the stud wall. It is not ideal, but you can only do what you can do. Cable damage like this is common when DIY charlie decides to try and put a dimmer into a back box that isn't deep enough. I feel you have been a victim of DIY charlie in your case as well.

Cheers..............Howard

if you are worried about lives touching neutrals in the choc bloc then swap the choc bloc into a wago connector, they are insulated all over and take less space too.

Thank you very much for all the advice, much appreciated.
Pete999 and Murdoch, regarding the breaker, should a 6 amp breaker have been used instead to protect the switch, or is there another issue with using a 16 amp? Forgive my ignorance.

Sorry Howard, thank you very much as well for your in depth reply. Yeah, I think the sparkie was a cowboy, as we are having to get 2 bathroom floors redone after he installed the underfloor heating incorrectly and it was condemned during a manufacturer survey visit to the house - all very frustrating!

Thank you very much for all the advice, much appreciated.
Pete999 and Murdoch, regarding the breaker, should a 6 amp breaker have been used instead to protect the switch, or is there another issue with using a 16 amp? Forgive my ignorance.

Having a 16A breaker protecting 1.5mm T&E is marginal - a 6A or 10A would be better IMHO.

Reply to Lighting circuit loops in the home in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock