Discuss Lighting Circuit - Power at switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Davejpic

Hi all,

Just a quick question if I may

I'm building mock circuits on an old desk to get a practical element to the theory I am studying (connected via 3 amp plug with RCD protection on supply)

I have been watching John Ward on YT ( John Ward - https://www.youtube.com/user/jjward ) and find him very informative without patronising you or digressing.

I have built a basic one lamp light circuit (non-rose) with power at the switch and used Wago connectors to provide the terminals in the box.

The circuit works as intended

Is this considered acceptable or is there another type of provision for terminals that I am not aware of?

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Aoh5tAd2uuvOgd8pPwHfqNogdwCUAQ

Any thoughts/comments welcome

Thanks!

20161116_225002.jpg

The 2nd Wago is to allow three connections so that power can be fed to the next fitting, I thought it better than trying to squish three cables into the terminal on the light switch.

is that a no-no?..

The 2nd Wago is to allow three connections so that power can be fed to the next fitting, I thought it better than trying to squish three cables into the terminal on the light switch.

is that a no-no?..

Why would you not feed the second light from the first light ?

I've realised a Mistake there after looking at it.

The Wago is supposed to be on the supply side, not the switched side.

I see that as it is at the moment i will be switching the supply to the next fitting.

Oops!

is that a no-no?..

Three cables - I can only see 2 and if you were feeding at the switch there would only be 2 cables, 1 in and 1 out - and adding extra "connections" is NEVER a good idea.

You would just need to do away with the brown wago and put the brown straight into the common, nothing wrong with 2 cables in the 1 terminal......

and use a deeper pattress, and sleeving on the cpc's, not tape.

You would just need to do away with the brown wago and put the brown straight into the common, nothing wrong with 2 cables in the 1 terminal......

I see my error here, Silly mistake.

Thanks for replies.

I'll do this again o_O

Also, with better brand switches a lot have a loop terminal doing away the need for a connector block

and use a deeper pattress, and sleeving on the cpc's, not tape.

I am aware sleeving is better (and easier), I only used tape to show intent as I dont have any sleeving at the moment.

I have re-done this box as it should be and prefer it as it is now.

On a side note, When using Wago connectors, I Tend to put the incoming conductor in the central hole with a view that is would provide a more balanced path to/from fittings and the CU..

Would this make any difference worth noting, or would this just come down to my OCD being entertained a bit?

PS

Thanks for the constructive replies, Many forums would have slated and abused me for the mistake there. I appreciate that :)

20161117_193500.jpg

With such a shallow pattress the power in cable would have been better using the left rather than middle entry point. Leaving the middle of the pattress clear for the switch body to rest in. I'd have trimmed the cable sheaths back further as well (about 10mm into the pattress) that way its easier to bend the wires around to make space.

Just to add it would be worth leaving a bit more spare cable in the patress. This makes it easier to make and check the terminations and quite important in a fixed installation that any future changes to the circuit can be made without too much struggling. Often if the copper has been crushed in the terminals you may want to snip that bit off prior to re terminating.

With such a shallow pattress the power in cable would have been better using the left rather than middle entry point. Leaving the middle of the pattress clear for the switch body to rest in. I'd have trimmed the cable sheaths back further as well (about 10mm into the pattress) that way its easier to bend the wires around to make space.

I did think about the sheaths and taking more off, although didn't think of the cable conflicting with the switch body.

Thanks for the thought!

Get some slimmer Wagos they are available, what's up with the switch looks like it has suffered thermal damage or maybe picture is poor ?

As a matter of interest what is this theory study for.

Reply to Lighting Circuit - Power at switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net