Discuss Lighting circuit with no CPC, fail??? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Spannaz

Hi Guys,

Just been to do a Condition report on a 30 year old installation. Both lighting circuits are wired in twin stranded steel cable with no CPC. The insulation test is good, but with the lack of CPC, and brass accessories, would you consider this as 'Satisfactory'. No RCD on lighting circuits either.

Steel cable? Rcd on light circuit to the bathroom? Is there metal conduit acting as cpc?

Nope, nothing acting as CPC. I did the report yesterday and failed it, customer rang this morning and tore strips off me as she's had someone else in and they've passed it. The other big issue is that the Insulation Resistance on the ringmain Line to CPC was 3.4M. OK, just scrapes through...but not good. How can someone pass it. They told her just to use plastic light switches and she'll be alright LOL There is even brass wall lights. I mean....really?!?!?!?!?!?

Nope, nothing acting as CPC. I did the report yesterday and failed it, customer rang this morning and tore strips off me as she's had someone else in and they've passed it. The other big issue is that the Insulation Resistance on the ringmain Line to CPC was 3.4M. OK, just scrapes through...but not good. How can someone pass it. They told her just to use plastic light switches and she'll be alright LOL There is even brass wall lights. I mean....really?!?!?!?!?!?

Stick to your first report mate. She may not like it but its your neck on the line.

all accessories would need to be class 2 (including switches) for a c3 and warning label attached to cu, anything other would be a unsat report.

were you paid? what was the reason for the report?

thought no cpc dated back to early 60s around 50year ago.

30 year old wiring with no cpc at all and brass fittings, run run as fast as you can :death:

more than 30 years old. more like 40 - 50. with stranded cable, tinned or otherwise.

I would like to see a picture of the DB, wooden backed wylex board with rewireable fuses and 6mm2 tails feeding it with a 2.5 green wire connected to an earth clamp on the incomming lead sheath I bet lol.

psst , the stranded "steel" cable will be tinned copper.
;-)

A sparks that works for the company came and told me that the scrappy wouldnt take the 3 sacks of cable he had taken out a rewire because it was steel. He had the right hump when I explained to him about tinned copper, he had left it with them to throw out... live and learn :)

i love doing periodics , the grottier the better lol.
just look at it as being paid to assemble a big jigsaw puzzle , each piece a part of the report.
all it needs is an adjustment of your mindset to enjoy the tougher inspections.

Yeah me too, I have seen some installations in appalling condition that have just been bought as well, one women has actually burst into tears in front of me once when she bought a bungalow in nearby Longlevens which is quite posh in places, the walls only had a tiny wipe of plaster on them as well and the bricks were black industrial hardened bricks, she didn't like the quote I gave her to sort it all out haha.

The minute you issue reports as the owner wants, or be willing to chang them, your credability has started to diminish.

I won't do EICR's for beer money. Customers can take my quote and either pay it or use someone else.

When I do an EICR I always advise that they can give the report to other sparks to quote and / or do the remedials. never lost the remedials yet :)

Reply to Lighting circuit with no CPC, fail??? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock