Discuss Lighting on end of smokes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

kingeri

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Been asked by a neighbour to change all white accessories for chrome ones and put up new fancy light fittings in their 3-storey house. Whilst doing some quick testing on the (newish) lighting circuits I found the circuit supplying the top floor lights is a bit odd, there are 5 wired interlinked smokes in the property and on the end of the smokes the top floor lighting has been branched off. Never seen this, it's not something I would do and just wanted opinions on it. The circuit is in good order, Zs are fine so although (to me at least) it's a weird thing to do, I can't say that it doesn't comply in any way.

Can't speak from experience, but surely this is just the same as the reverse, having smokes branch off the lighting. So long as all the cables meet the requirements (ie smokes not downsized) I too can't see the issue, but as I've said this is my 2 cents of inexperienced babbling.

Only thing I can think of is splitting the lighting circuits, but if it's only the upstairs lights that share the smokes circuit, surely this is the same as the smokes sharing the upstairs lighting circuit?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks hightower. I was initially concerned about voltage drop as the circuit is fairly long, but it's wired in 1.5 so that is fine.

as long as those smokes are connected into a "frequently used" lighting circuit........

When I think more about it, it's probably been done to save cable (if you need to run 3 core for interlinked smokes anyway, why run a separate 2 core everywhere too when you can just take it off the smokes in each room?) - sounds like a switched on spark who's done it.

When I think more about it, it's probably been done to save cable (if you need to run 3 core for interlinked smokes anyway, why run a separate 2 core everywhere too when you can just take it off the smokes in each room?) - sounds like a switched on spark who's done it.

Well the circuit goes to various points on each floor for the smokes and then at the last smoke (which is on the top floor) the lighting branches off just for that top floor.

Last edited:
To be honest I've done this many times on Rewires, I run twin to the down smokes then the 3 core interlink which eventually ends at the upstairs smoke from there a twin runs to do the upstairs lighting, smokes are powered from a regularly used lighting circuit and saves an extra cable, I like the idea that if the lighting circuit is faulty your smokes are faulty ...... (you notice you have a problem) where as the dedicated smoke circuit in fault is not as apparent unless there is a mains fail alert

Smokes on their own circuit, do make a funny beeping noise after a while, if the circuit is isolated. But we've had this discussion before, and I can't be bothered to have it again :)

Reply to Lighting on end of smokes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net