Discuss Lights problem with LED lamps not turning off in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'd need to check the regs, but I don't think it makes any distinction between VD tolerances on LV and ELV systems.
Personally, I don't like the idea of having one driver for all the lamps. All the lights go out if/when the driver dies.
That's a valid point but easily solved if needed. There are already various supply solutions that offer redundant backups. A second parallel convertor that waits to switch in. The other advantage of 12V distributed would be the ease of adding battery backup for power outages.

Interesting trying to find why 3% was the chosen max volt drop for lighting. QUOTE]

Not forgetting the supply of voltage can be + 10%, - 6% of 230 volts, so your light bulb might be trying to operate at 209 volts?

Not forgetting the supply of voltage can be + 10%, - 6% of 230 volts, so your light bulb might be trying to operate at 209 volts?

209.714V I calculate...

To add an additional variable. Many LED drivers work from 110V to 240V so at 209V its more than happy.

I believe not all drivers are the same. Universal AC input drivers can operate on varying voltage ( e.g. 90v to 360V for worldwide use), other drivers seem to operate on a range of primary input of 220V - 240V for UK use, so they wouldn't be happy, nor for that matter would BS7671. :)

I think the lighting limit is primarily for discharge lighting that may fail to strike at lower voltages; resistance lighting will "work" at any voltage it will just get dimmer and dimmer.
This is why you get such problems as the OPs because a tungsten filament lamp would have been "working" at the low voltage but not enough power would be supplied to generate a glow but the voltage would be discharged, with the LEDs they can operate on this limited power and glow dimly or flicker depending on the LED circuitry.

Sometimes you can get an induced voltage with two way switching, although 60 volts seems quite high. But even a small voltage can be enough to make low energy lamps glow. Sometimes dimable LED lamps won't glow like this.

The 2 fittings on the same switch(es) are two way switched - may disconnect the 2 way if easy when I go back to fit the bits on Thursday if I feel inclined and have the time to see if it helps out of interest.

Look for a borrowed neutral going to the extension.
I had the same problem in my house and asked every spark I knew why I was getting between 60 and 90v on the lighting neutral and they all came up with weird and wonderful ideas as to why and they were all wrong.
I was working on a job with a 3rd year apprentice spark and said to him and straight away he said you have a borrowed neutral. Hecalled up to the house and found it in 15 mins, pulled a couple of wires through (I just left him to it) and it was sorted.
I'm a plumber so will probably be banned and this post deleted by about half 9 tomorrow lol

Reply to Lights problem with LED lamps not turning off in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net