Discuss little advice on a relay please :) in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

carlos54321

i have a
POWER RELAY HONGFA JQX-115F

!B(6(CMg!mk~$(KGrHgoH-C0EjlLlt+dzBKewWBf7Dw~~_12.JPG

when i shake it it sound like it has a ball in it which dont believe it has, no way of really testing it, they are cheep so i can get one but dont really want to just because of the sound it makes :)

should it make a sound ? (im not shaking it hard:)

thankyou.

have they left a chinaman's ball in it?

maybe but i've puts some volts though it so it could be knackard

what voltage did you apply to the coil?

how many do you need? if one then spend couple of pounds more and get a quality one, preferable with transparent casing so you will see whats up inside. if you need more and they are cheap enough then open this one and see for yourself.

Sounds like the retaining spring has come off the contact bar

i have a
POWER RELAY HONGFA JQX-115F

View attachment 26676

when i shake it it sound like it has a ball in it which dont believe it has, no way of really testing it, they are cheep so i can get one but dont really want to just because of the sound it makes :)

should it make a sound ? (im not shaking it hard:)

thankyou.

Can;t see why you shook it in the first place, that probably was the cause of the rattle, these relays are delicate you know

The springs are not that high pressure and due to the small size can be overcome by the inertia of you shaking it... when you shake it you are probably rattling the 2 halfs of the magnetising block in and out.... You don't say if you even think its faulty so just energise the coil with a 12v DC source like a battery to see if you can hear it pulling in and out, then use a multimeter on the ohms range or audible buzzer to check if the contacts are opening and closing.

As mentioned, we are only talking a few quid here to purchase one you know is working.

Any info as to why your asking the question in the first place?

yep its out of a steam press so where the board sits in the top its forever get bashed (promise i never just took it out and give it a spanking) i had to take the board out when taking it apart, and thats when i heard the rattel i thought it was like a ball switch you know when the press it down the ball comes away stops it over heating. ie cutting power to the plate but on looking it up i see it is just a relay
but the thought i should ask i wasn't sure it should make sound didn't want to take the relay apart to see the inside so thought id just ask.

and thank you for the answers i shall just buy a new one i see some on ebay i know there probable crap but i wouldn't know the difference between a good and bad.

also not that bothered about the press but i am interested in learning if i can get it working the wife will be happy and the night who knows what it may bring :)

...Not familiar with your press,but does it have an interlock on any function whilst NOT pressing? In other words,is there a steam/heat function,that only is activated when closed? just a thought...

no only when the button on the handle is pressed i think that in turn activates a little pump which sends cold water to the hot plate and produces the steam.

i have now ordered a a relay, hopefully the one that is needed thankyou for all your replys.

yep its out of a steam press so where the board sits in the top its forever get bashed (promise i never just took it out and give it a spanking) i had to take the board out when taking it apart, and thats when i heard the rattel i thought it was like a ball switch you know when the press it down the ball comes away stops it over heating. ie cutting power to the plate but on looking it up i see it is just a relay
but the thought i should ask i wasn't sure it should make sound didn't want to take the relay apart to see the inside so thought id just ask.

and thank you for the answers i shall just buy a new one i see some on ebay i know there probable crap but i wouldn't know the difference between a good and bad.

also not that bothered about the press but i am interested in learning if i can get it working the wife will be happy and the night who knows what it may bring :)

Now that you have ordered a new relay...........that might get steamy also !

Reply to little advice on a relay please :) in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net