Discuss Little Giant ladders in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

HandySparks

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have an assortment of ladders and steps, but I don't have anything free-standing that will allow me to work safely on fittings on high ceilings. I want something that will fit easily inside my van and was thinking of one of these:
6-Rung Little Giant "Professional": UK Ladders >> Delivered Free to your door!
The video on the page is worth a look.

I know that they're heavy and expensive but it looks like a versatile bit of kit. Does anyone have any views or experience of these? Ease of use, build quality, any faults, is the weight really a problem? Any comparable alternatives?

I've checked out the following threads which have a mention or two:
http://www.electriciansforums.net/electrical-tools-products/39867-combi-ladders-fit-clio.html
http://www.electriciansforums.net/electrical-tools-products/41015-step-ladders-fit-car.html

depending on how long your van is, try looking at the Zarges pro range. A 12 rung set will go into a sprinter and will get you 24' off the floor, a 14 rung WON'T fit inside and will get you around 30' (think I remember the heights right) both in A frame mode. They also will act as extenders. Not cheap, but absolutely bombproof.

They also do 6, 8 & 10 rung versions!!

Thanks Rockingit.
The Zarges Pro seem to be fixed step ladders.
Zarges Pro-Bat Platform Steps - Zarges available at Toolbox
Ladders, Stepladders, Scaffold Tower, Work Platforms from ZARGES UK

The Zarges Waku, which are extendible, look like a dead ringer for the Little Giant but at nearly twice the price. I wonder which came first.
6 rung Zarges Waku Telescopic Ladder/Step: UK Ladders >> Delivered Free to your door!
Waku-Zarges Telescopic | Industrial Steps

The van's only a SWB transit with racking against the bulkhead, so a closed length of less than 2.3m, ideally 1.8/1.9m would suit me to stow it neatly. I'd like to leave it in the van full time so that I don't have to remember to take it specially.

Waku were the original combi / multi ladder from Germany I have a 6 rung ladder that's closing 30 years old and still in good condition cost about £550 when I bought it and has only needed one hinge replacing over that time when the ladder was dropped accidentally

I also have a pair of the little giant ladders that are a good few years old and seem as good as the Waku ladders for less money

If I was buying any more I'd go for the Little Giant Ladders as I don't see any extra benefit to consider the Waku with it's price tag

they dont seen to go that high in frame mode for 3 point contact,you might be better off with a set of A frame ladders and stick them on the roof of your van if you need a set to get to a decent height.they look good for working on stairs etc

Hi HandySparks,
The thing with Little Giant Ladders is that they are a heavier ladder but this helps make them bombproof. They'll also last a lifetime and have a warranty to match. Because they are such a solid ladder, they take knocks that most other ladders wouldn't survive. In the end you'll end up saving on buying new ladders every year, so in the long run a Little Giant is the cheaper option.

John

Hi HandySparks,
The thing with Little Giant Ladders is that they are a heavier ladder but this helps make them bombproof. They'll also last a lifetime and have a warranty to match. Because they are such a solid ladder, they take knocks that most other ladders wouldn't survive. In the end you'll end up saving on buying new ladders every year, so in the long run a Little Giant is the cheaper option.

John

Thanks, but I bought one nearly two years ago.

Welcome to the forums.

Just out if interest how are you getting on with it?

I have the 6 rung version. It doesn't get any lighter with use, although I can carry it upright fairly easily with one shoulder between the rungs.

I still have an ordinary lightweight pair of steps as well on the van, so it only gets used when necessary. For lighting in high ceilings in Victorian houses, it's spot on. It also gets used occasionally as a full extension ladder, so it has allowed me to take the extension ladder off the van and remove the roof bars. It's a bit unwieldy in this mode, but very stable due to the wide legs. You wouldn't really want to be working for very long periods off it, as it has rungs rather than steps, so your feet would get a bit tired after a while.

So, for a ladder that fits easily in the back of a SWB Transit that will get to places that an ordinary short pair of steps won't reach, it's proved very useful. I haven't regretted the purchase.

Reply to Little Giant ladders in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net