Discuss Live to Neutral voltage issue at socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jw4774

Firstly - apologies if this is in the wrong place but I couldn't seem to post in the DIY area.

I have removed a socket cover in order to decorate and replaced it to find it didn't work. This socket is in a bedroom on a separate ring to the main sockets, with just the two bedrooms sockets on it.

Using a voltmeter I have measured the live - neutral which is 0V, (not right), and the live to earth (240V).
So I also checked the neutral to earth which was also 0V.

I wasn't sure if the live had shorted to the neutral so checked the resistance between the two with a multimeter, this was greater than 2MOhm (limit of my multimeter).

Anything obvious that I am missing before I call in a professional, I understand the theory well as its part of my job but I don't do any electrical installation.

Please JW get an electrician in. You have gone too far as it is. Leave it to us, post up your location and get it sorted out.

Last edited:
Anything obvious that I am missing before I call in a professional, I understand the theory well as its part of my job but I don't do any electrical installation.

Yes, it is obvious what you are missing and if you did understand the theory you would deduce it from the test results you have. As already said, genuinely, get an electrician in to effect the repair required on that circuit and then confirm by testing (with equipment you won't have) that it safe for continued use.

Wow, surprised at the arrogance of electricians when they have no idea about other professions who design electrical systems. I have found and fixed the problem, which was quite obvious in the end, I was using a cheap DVM from toolstation which obviously has a very low internal bleed resistance and allowed the neutral wire to charge up which had come loose from another plug. But again thanks for the incredibly helpful responses.

Wow, surprised at the arrogance of electricians when they have no idea about other professions who design electrical systems. I have found and fixed the problem, which was quite obvious in the end, I was using a cheap DVM from toolstation which obviously has a very low internal bleed resistance and allowed the neutral wire to charge up which had come loose from another plug. But again thanks for the incredibly helpful responses.

I don't think it was arrogance, I think it was sensible advice. Would you let a milkman fix your car?

wouldn't it be better if the forum gave a automated "Get an electrician in" text on certain questions or a header note stating that only expert electricians will be helped (kind of an oxymoron really though)

wouldn't it be better if the forum gave a automated "Get an electrician in" text on certain questions or a header note stating that only expert electricians will be helped (kind of an oxymoron really though)
That's not really relevant in this instance is it? There are guys who obviously have a good deal of experience and just need a bit of advice, and there there is "allowed the neutral wire to charge up which had come loose from another plug", which should have the automated "get a sparky in" response......

One could put postulate that if you knew more than your original post suggested then you'd not be calling it a plug :)

Sorry if you feel offended but the forum is littered with DIYers wanting free help which is neither safe or viable to do in a forum environment.

Your post suggests you are an electrical designer? I have a large commercial new build coming up - any chance you could design the electrical installation for me, for free? :) (obviously I'm being flippant).

Hi Richy3333, if you ever need a hand designing pulsed power systems operating at around 1MV then send me a message.

Thanks jw4774. I've been asked frequently about that very thing but have always had to refer people on :)

Awww come on, I haven't even had a chance to join in on this one yet!

But Anyways, I'm not sure I follow how you think the neutral has charged up and what effect it had on your test results? The potential readings you stated suggest a disconnected/broken/missing ( or whatever you want to call it) neutral.

A word of advise, cheap meters are very unlikely to meet the appropriate safety standards for use on live mains, it could be very dangerous for you as the user. Better to use a good quality meter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

what he could mean is that if the N is broken/open circuit between the point where he's testing and the N of the supply, then his N could be sitting at 240V via a load upstream.i.e no current flow L-N, hence no VD. so he'll read 0V L-N.

It's quite incredible how you people expect complete strangers to give up their free time to help when you have this kind of attitude.
It's not just you but it seems to be that everyone who sits in an office doing drawings assumes they can extrapolate that into the real world simply because their drawings are related to electrical systems, and that the manual element is in some way beneath them.
Remember who is asking for whose help here.

just remember that both the titanic and the hindenburg were "designed".

This thread and many like it, where the OP claims electrical knowledge in a field other than electrical installation, ring false when a question is asked or statement is made that seems to betray a lack of knowledge that applies equally in his own field. This may not actually be the case here, it could be due to a poor choice of wording, omitting details from the post, etc.

Re. Titanic, someone claiming to be a naval architect might reasonably say that he has no knowledge of shipbuilding crafts nor any seafaring experience; his forte happens to be design of steel framing. But when he asks the purpose of watertight bulkheads, one is inclined to doubt the credentials because any naval architect would know this.

That said, hands up anyone who uses a multimeter wiithout knowing its input resistance...

Reply to Live to Neutral voltage issue at socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net