Discuss Locking off the main switch before removing cover from a consumer unit? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

The locking off kit is designed to stop some random idiot turning the supply back on whilst working on a circuit in absence of the distribution board, consumer unit, etc.
Locking of a board with you sat next to it. Pathetic!

Yes... just! I had to do it.. the assessor wasn't going to let me take the cover off until it was locked off! Bit of a squeeze though and it felt far more dangerous jigging it around to get past the lock!

Sounds like the various assessors have very different attitudes. My last assessor was quite happy for me to remove the cover on a CU that I had recently installed while still powered up. OK, it was a Crabtree Starbreaker, with the insulated busbar but, given that you have to do live testing anyway, I thought that his attitude was the correct one. Do what you need to do, but take care when doing it.

Sounds like the various assessors have very different attitudes. My last assessor was quite happy for me to remove the cover on a CU that I had recently installed while still powered up. OK, it was a Crabtree Starbreaker, with the insulated busbar but, given that you have to do live testing anyway, I thought that his attitude was the correct one. Do what you need to do, but take care when doing it.

In my opinion one of the main benefits of a modern unit over a 3036 Wylex is the ability to remove/replace the cover and work on a single circuit without killing power to the whole house.

More fool any of you that allows an assessor impose his personal views.

Have you put a complaint in HHD?
When i had my assessment there was a couple of complaints i could of made or arguments i could of started. However ultimately i (and i think its safe to say most electricians?) just want to get the thing over with and signed off.

Pacification is key.

Last edited by a moderator:
This assessor is a bloody idiot, exactly what was his reasoning behind locking the main switch off before taking the cover off the CU?? So what happens ''After'' the cover is removed?? I think he must have had a bit of a bad belt sometime in the recent past, by sticking his mits where they shouldn't have been.

I'd have asked him to show me where that practice is stated in the safe isolation procedure. It's true what they say, those that can't ...Teach!! Unfortunately it's the same type of people that perpetuate all the old wife tales, that crop up on here (and on a regular basis) such as you can't export PME, RFC's, are bad etc, etc, etc!!

When i had my assessment there was a couple of complaints i could of made or arguments i could of started. However ultimately i (and i think its safe to say most electricians?) just want to get the thing over with and signed off.

Pacification is key.

Then the assessor just caries on imposing his personal views if no one complains.

As I said more fool you all for not getting them in to line.

Yes... just! I had to do it.. the assessor wasn't going to let me take the cover off until it was locked off! Bit of a squeeze though and it felt far more dangerous jigging it around to get past the lock!
Is the assessor a bricklayer or baker/ or perhaps a chef? he certainely doesn't sound electrically minded.

maybe a change of career to billy smart's is in order for this assessor. he's a bloody clown.

Some know there stuff, some are ****s.
The important thing is knowing the difference between the two.
For 4 hours a year I will either have an interesting conversation with a decent bloke.
Or have to humour "The ****"
I do so because it benefits me not them.
If your with a scheme provider, and have to put up with the same ****e each year, with an assessor who is master of his universe.
My advice is let it all go over your head provided he gives you a compliant rating.
Then get on with what's really important !!
Getting the work in,
Earning the money,
And looking after the ones who care about you.

The starred out word is T. W. A. T. not likely to offend grown men with that one:icon12:

As per Tonys' comment,if you comply with a silly notion,such as suggested,you only reinforce the assessors belief that he is right.

And he is not.

How can doing as he says,not hinder,what can be a tricky task anyway?

It's like admonishing a council road operative,because he started digging before turning off the towns gas,electric and broadband...

I'm fitting a long,dangly copper chain with charms on,to all my lock-offs...:conehead:

I've never worked on a consumer unit. Can you actually fit a lock off device to the main isolator and still be able to remove the cover?

**edit** I think you other thread was closed because there was a very similar poll still running elsewhere.

I've just had a wander through to my utility room to have a look at my Wylex board and I CAN get the cover off with the lock in place.

I can now sleep soundly in my bed knowing that!!!

I'm a silver lining kinda guy and I can see this will be a nice little earner for sparkies condemning consumer units as dangerous where you can't jiggle the cover past a lock-out device....C1...new CU required immediately......... before someone gets killed......tell ya what I'll do for ya....... Chaaaaaaaaa chiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing. I'm glad you won't have to spend your money though Geordie ;)

I'm a silver lining kinda guy and I can see this will be a nice little earner for sparkies condemning consumer units as dangerous where you can't jiggle the cover past a lock-out device....C1...new CU required immediately......... before someone gets killed......tell ya what I'll do for ya....... Chaaaaaaaaa chiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing. I'm glad you won't have to spend your money though Geordie ;)

Me ..... spend MONEY?????

The only things I spend money on these days are a Toyota MR2 MK2 and a Pikey Princess girlfriend.

Now I'm just starting to wonder which is the most costly to maintain!! :thinking:

Aww.. sod it!! ... They're both beautiful, loads of fun and still have a few miles left on the clock so sod the expense - I'll keep them both! :auto: .:gorgeous:

is this the same assessor that says you can't add new circuits to 3036 fused boards. perhaps that's because you can't lock them off.

Me ..... spend MONEY?????

The only things I spend money on these days are a Toyota MR2 MK2 and a Pikey Princess girlfriend.

Now I'm just starting to wonder which is the most costly to maintain!! :thinking:

Aww.. sod it!! ... They're both beautiful, loads of fun and still have a few miles left on the clock so sod the expense - I'll keep them both! :auto: .:gorgeous:

You know I'm worth it!!!!!. :ihih:

Reply to Locking off the main switch before removing cover from a consumer unit? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net