Discuss Loft insulation - alternatives to fibre glass in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I am soon to be boarding out the loft on my new home as there's nothing of the sort up there currently. It is just to be for storage so I think I'm going to use 11mm OSB sheets for the actual boarding. When I went up there to measure up, I noticed the FG insulation has seen better days and so it'd make sense to replace before boarding.

As you can guess from the title, I'm after alternatives to FG as it's messy and horrible to work with, and surely there must be better options out there now? I mean FG has been used for at least 30-40 years and there's got to be advancements for better insulation and nicer materials to work with. I've read a little about foam, but not sure how that would potentially affect any cables that may be run up there?

Any advice is appreciated, as you can see I don't really know much about the subject.

Nicer to work with will always mean more expensive.

I did mine in Knauf Earthwool
Pleasant to work with.

Nicer to work with will always mean more expensive.

I did mine in Knauf Earthwool
Pleasant to work with.

Not necessarily a problem, that stuff does look a whole lot better. Did you just use one layer as it comes on the roll, or multiple?

B&Q used to do recycled plastic bottle loft insulation.

I used celotex boards between therafters before boarding over them (I used 18mm P5 floorboards as easy to fit). 120mm of Celotex gives about the same insulation as the recomended 270mm glass wool insulation. Easy to cut out space for the lighting and cables.

Have you looked into the government schemes to insulate houses. There are free upgrades available for loft and cavity insulation on houses im not sure if its still running but might be worth a look as they will install the loft insulation free of charge. Mine was done a couple of years ago and it didnt cost a penny.

Reply to Loft insulation - alternatives to fibre glass in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock