Discuss Loft insulation and 6W LED GU10 fittings? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

NeilF

So any advice for what to do with loft insulation around GU10 light fittings with 6W (240v) bulbs in?

At least one or two of them are to be under boarding too, so not much height above the top of the fitting and the boarding? (Couple of cm maybe?)

Cut the insulation away from the fittings.

move the insulation from around the lights, just so that it's not touching.
you have got to think what if the LED's all blow and the customer just pops a load of 50W halogens in..?

Well the other option is to put a clay flower pot upside down over the top of the fittings.

And just leave unisulated areas in the loft? In the case of our room, this will be 6 x GU10 LEDs and we also 2 x MR16 too!

wow! lose a couple of joules of energy per annum. ain't going to melt the polar ice caps, is it?

if you just take enough of the scratchy stuff away so it's not touching, I bet you won't even notice the difference in energy loss

With regards to the clearance above the fitting you need to follow manufactures guidelines if you cant meet it you cant fit it, as others have stated nothing stopping a 50w hal been fitted a few yrs down the line.

I'm the customer :)

Also, the dimmer is attached is a v-pro which I believe is designed to work with LEDs? - http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/Products/size_3/VLJP400MOD.JPG

The V-Pros are ok with LEDs but you still have to think about the minimum load. I fitted one a while back with 5 4W GU10s and heard a couple of weeks later that the customer had changed one of the LEDs for a halogen because he didn't like the slight flicker he got when turning it on on a low setting.
A good job I properly got the insulation away from all the fittings or that replacement halogen would be properly cooked by now......

I'd use a vapour hood or insulation guard although if it is under boarding then you might have height issues. have you considered low height, LED only fittings?

wow! lose a couple of joules of energy per annum. ain't going to melt the polar ice caps, is it?

you get cold spots though, and then condensation on it. I've seen mould around downlights before from this, lunatics removing a square foot on insulation from around every downlight with a very draughty loft and everywhere else in the loft has 300mm of it so the moisture in the air just condenses on the cold bits. that was in a shower room, going to extremes i know but worth mentioning.

Stick one of these loft caps over each one. You can then insulate around and over them without a problem.

Fire Vapour & Thermal Seal Loft Cap

This sounds the best idea.

Where they are out of the way and not boarded over the insulation can just go over them in a bump.

Where there is boarding over them, I guess the insulation will have to be cut upto the cap (& not go over it) and boarding will have to go around and over it as best it can.

And I guess this is the case with the MR16s too, which I suspect will run hotter than the LED GU10s...

I might just make a few small holes in them to aid ventilation/heat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Loft insulation and 6W LED GU10 fittings? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock