Discuss Loft light - Boiler location - Building Regs in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I

InfinityElec

Hi all,

Can anyone point me in the direction of Building Regs reference for the requirement for a loft light when a boiler is installed in the loft.

We have recently carried out a rewire and the plumber moved a boiler from the garage of the property (that has been converted by a builder) into the loft.

We had not installed a loft light as it was not on the customers original specification. They are now holding back payment as they are saying its within building regs to have a light in a loft where a gas boiler is located.

Any info appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Has the customer got proper boarding to stand on and a loft ladder? Both of these go with the light.

As for the loft light being added - if its not in the spec then its an extra (unless you made some sweeping statement about the rewire complying with ALL the regs).

Did you agree costs for changes requested after the start of the job?

When was it agreed to put the FCU in the loft for the boiler?

Murdoch:
Partly boarded loft, loft ladder installed. FCU for boiler agreed on original estimate. Frequent changes made to the installation through out the project on customers request, but we keep note of all requested changes.

Far from being an expert but a quick Google comes up with BPEC CEN1 (whatever that is) guidance that boilers in lofts should have adequate lighting.
Surely it's a bit academic if it wasn't covered in your brief. Can you not just instal and charge the extra?

In all honesty a loft light could be done in an hour and at very little material cost so it might be worth doing to get paid for the big job and avoid a big falling out. Then when this customer wants your services again you can be too busy to help.....
100% agree. To save and further delay I would go and put one in just so the customer releases the payment. About £5 in bits and an hour of the op's time.

BPEC CEN1 Guidance regardsing roof installation of gas boiler is;-
1. Flooring provided to boiler for service access
2. Boiler has to be mounted on wall capable of withstanding weight.
3. Loft to be accessible with retractable ladder
4. Must have fixed lighting in place
5. The roof space exit must be protected with a guard rail
6. Gas, water, and electrical isolation points should be provided outside of the roof space so boiler can be isolated without gaining access to roof space

hope this helps

It's not a building regs requirement as far as I know, but it is a gas regulations requirement.
as far as I know it's the plumbers responsibility to ensure the loft is fitted with a light, floor and loft ladder for suitable access. The plumber I work with regularly always does have me fit a loft light when wiring a boiler in a loft plus he installs flooring and loft ladder.

I can tell you another issue...check the boiler manufacturer is ok for it to be installed outside the heated fabric of the structure.

I am guessing this is not a "hot roof", and has the insulation below the area where the boiler is fitted.

Any external frost stat,fitted in the property,will be oblivious to it's icy lair.

Some manufacturers have other reasons for not fronting warranty wonga,on discovering hidden fitment,and a periscope in the bedroom won't cut it :)

Its states a fixed light. Buy and screw in place a battery powered LED lamp.
Cheap as chips.

Thanks every one for your comments. Some entertaining ideas :)
I put a fitting in this morning. Hopefully get paid for the rest of the job now.

Reply to Loft light - Boiler location - Building Regs in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock