Discuss loft wirng on rewire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J.C.E

-
Arms
Reaction score
evening guys

for you guys that regularly do rewires....

when you do the upstairs lighting wiring in the loft

do you just use the existing holes in joists- and add a few extra 16mm holes if really needed

who clips? who doesn't? to side of joist if insulation is on top and is also getting boarded on top once finished. or just let it sit on the p.board and through joist- so boarding can be screwed down without crushing cable etc

Depends really. I was brought up on always avoiding the middle in case they want to board it out, then again if it's a shallow roof or has a good thick layer of insulation they shouldn't using it to store stuff anyway. Keep it neat and tidy, rarely clip apart from the bit of 1mm up to the light. I know lads at college who were taught to clip everything in the loft but then made shoddy short cuts elsewhere where to me it really mattered.

Not sure what you mean about drilling joists in loft, if you mean trusses I wouldn't go near them with a drill.

Just my opinions of course, but keep it neat just don't overkill it.

To me the house has ground floor with joists above, the ceiling is screwed to this and the floor above it. Then on the top floor you have the trusses which the upstairs ceiling is screwed to with the loft above. Never drill trusses and drill joists in the safe zones as per drawing in on site guide. I'm sure we're getting our wires crossed somewhere, pardon the pun

i try to make cable runs following same path around the loft and bunch them up together with cable ties. some clips on outgoing branches to make sure no one pulls the cable from fittings below when moving stuff around the loft.

When I was being taught many moons ago, we had to clip the cables in the loft where, if you poked your head up through the loft hatch you could not see the run of cables, and drilling the joists or trusses was a complete no no.I still carry out this practice today so that only one side of the cable is in contact with insulation, I also insure the lighting is wired in 1.5mm because of the itchy stuff.

Last vacant rewire I did, still had loads of crap in the loft, plus boarded down the middle. So cables fished under chipboard (& not clipped!). Going from one side of loft to other, it was easier & quicker to clip cable to truss, from one side to the other.

Why would you drill anything in the lift when you can just lay the cables on top?? You shouldn't drill the trusses, thats for sure. I try and keep cables to the edges, sometimes clip up if its going into the middle of the loft just to keep it off the plasterboard. As long as it looks neat and isn't in the way then its all good in my opinion

Why would you drill anything in the lift when you can just lay the cables on top?? You shouldn't drill the trusses, thats for sure. I try and keep cables to the edges, sometimes clip up if its going into the middle of the loft just to keep it off the plasterboard. As long as it looks neat and isn't in the way then its all good in my opinion
Depends if the owner intends to board out the loft? Cables routed at right angles to the joists, if clipped in one central run out the way, owner can lay boards accordingly. Alternatively put your cables where you want, up to the owner what he does with his chipboard :)

Reply to loft wirng on rewire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net