Discuss Lollipop or not? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

The Ghost

I started installing a radial circuit in 4mm² singles in white 20mm conduit for an office. MCB=32a. T-N-CS

The client has decided to cut costs and while the builder is erecting a stud wall partition office he (the builder) will continue with the wiring. The builder wants to form a junction with the 4mm supplied to the office from DB in conduit and do a ring in the office. As I have to sign it off I say no continue in 4mm singles and make it a radial. However he is insisting on a ring circuit, making it a lollipop cct. I am tempted to say yes but did not, thought I would put it before my learned friends to garner some views before I answer him tomorrow.
So....what do you say?
CCT is circa 25m max radial by my proposal.

stick to your guns. whilst a lollipop cct. may be OK, it's your name on the cert. so your decision as to how it's done. tell him if he wants to do it his way, he can bloody well sign it off. anyway. i'd not allow a builder to install the cables.you'd need to inspect before and after boarding.

Do
I started installing a radial circuit in 4mm² singles in white 20mm conduit for an office. MCB=32a. T-N-CS

The client has decided to cut costs and while the builder is erecting a stud wall partition office he (the builder) will continue with the wiring. The builder wants to form a junction with the 4mm supplied to the office from DB in conduit and do a ring in the office. As I have to sign it off I say no continue in 4mm singles and make it a radial. However he is insisting on a ring circuit, making it a lollipop cct. I am tempted to say yes but did not, thought I would put it before my learned friends to garner some views before I answer him tomorrow.
So....what do you say?
CCT is circa 25m max radial by my proposal.
Don't like lolipop circuits but apparently it's not against BS7671 apparently.

Last edited:
For the amount of time that you'll need to be there inspecting his work so you can certificate it, the client may as well get you to liaise with the builder and make sure things are done right. That is after all why you trained to do electrics and he . . . . Uhhhm, I got stuck there!

Can we get this straight, you started the job and now the client wants the builder to carry on doing the wiring? I am just trying to visualise how this would work in reality. While the builder is doing the wiring, are you going to do a bit of plastering?
If it was me I would submit a bill for the work done so far and tell them all to do one.
Who is going to sign it off?
Unbelievable. Builders........

To get it straight @sparksburnout ... Yes the client wants the builder to do the rest of the wiring to save money. He has paid me for work so far and baulked at my estimate for wiring the office. His builder is a "friend" who is/can do him a favour!:~@~? whatever that may be! Anyway that is the way it is. He believes he will save money this way. So I would have put sockets on four walls in 20mm Plastic conduit as a radial in 4mm² singles. And put in data sockets as well. Perhaps the builder has quoted him and said yeh i'll put in the sockets as well for the price, I don't know. I shan't be doing any plastering btw. The client has jumped into a Unit and I think he hardly knows what he is in for with an F.R.I. lease! He has no real idea of building control, neither does the builder apparently so B.C. is going to be involved. So it may yet prove to be a lot of fun, but I think I will insist on a simple radial as it complicates testing and writing it out.

Am I missing something ?
SO from the DB I have 4mm² coming from the DB (singles) in conduit through the unit to the office to be. And there is enough cable to go to the first socket in the office. The builder wants to run singles(?) in 2.5mm² from the 4mm as in a junction box and join two 2.5s' to the four mill. I dont like the sounds of that, JB with those cables in done by a builder!

Cant you use the 4mm back to db as draw wire an pull ring legs through conduit.? As for builders mate wiring itid say no way and if he isnt happy then walk away, this is what devalues our trade!

this will get messy.
You know I had a bad feeling to start out this would. When the client said a lot of confused things about licences and plans and building control. I thought well he should get a builder who deals with B.C. as part of the job and so on....

To get it straight @sparksburnout ... Yes the client wants the builder to do the rest of the wiring to save money. He has paid me for work so far and baulked at my estimate for wiring the office. His builder is a "friend" who is/can do him a favour!:~@~? whatever that may be! Anyway that is the way it is. He believes he will save money this way. So I would have put sockets on four walls in 20mm Plastic conduit as a radial in 4mm² singles. And put in data sockets as well. Perhaps the builder has quoted him and said yeh i'll put in the sockets as well for the price, I don't know. I shan't be doing any plastering btw. The client has jumped into a Unit and I think he hardly knows what he is in for with an F.R.I. lease! He has no real idea of building control, neither does the builder apparently so B.C. is going to be involved. So it may yet prove to be a lot of fun, but I think I will insist on a simple radial as it complicates testing and writing it out.

So are you going to supervise the builder as he does the wiring?
I am a bit confused, what do you mean " I think I will insist on a simple radial as it complicates testing and writing it out."?
Do you need all this sh"t?
Walk on by.......

Reply to Lollipop or not? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net