Discuss long runs 1.5mm to 1.0mm in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

got some sockets and lights to do in a hall, 25mtrs to first switch/socket and then various LED lights

would it be best to run from the mains to the switches in 1.5 and then all round to the lights in 1.0mm long runs to lights and hate terminating in 1.5

cheers
Grand

Hi all,

got some sockets and lights to do in a hall, 25mtrs to first switch/socket and then various LED lights

would it be best to run from the mains to the switches in 1.5 and then all round to the lights in 1.0mm long runs to lights and hate terminating in 1.5

cheers
Grand

For Domestic i would run 1.5 to the switches and 1mm to the lights, i doubt voltdrop will be an issue. What about the sockests 2.5/4mm?

Cheers

again is a commercial building small kitchen big halls, not alot of loading or insulation to worry about just longish runs, probably keep the 4.0mm to 4.0mm as there aint mush in it really

cheers
Grand

must be a windup, the vd calc is so simple and in the osg gives you all the info you need

there isnt a lot if loading in my kitchen, only 9 led spots (used to be 50watt gu10's)

i have put 50+ in one house before no problem

You said it trev.....and even thinking about 1mm for commercial...and long runs. Personally I hate 240mm....but only in tight confines.

You said it trev.....and even thinking about 1mm for commercial...and long runs. Personally I hate 240mm....but only in tight confines.
i know what your saying, we had a special order multicore control cable before.

we had to borrow some of these type of cable jacks and 4 guys to budge the drum

long runs 1.5mm to 1.0mm {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

the cable itself was leight for its size but was a pain to pull in because of the bending radius etc

For Domestic i would run 1.5 to the switches and 1mm to the lights, i doubt voltdrop will be an issue. What about the sockests 2.5/4mm?

Cheers

I always put a catch tray at the end of my cable runs.
That way if any voltage drops, it won't get lost and I can put it back later. :icon12:

And the only way of deciding that for certain is.......?

Hi all,

Trev.the chap did not ask with regards to volt drop, so lets assume he knows, i made a statement based on experience, you will note DOUBT, not definitive, ill leave that up to him.

The onsite guide gives standard arrangements.

So given the fact that lighting circuits need to be broken up, and 1.5mm will happilly carry 30x100watt distributed loads over 50 meters, he stated 25 meters to the switch,this guy is fitting "various LED lights" do you think it will be an issue on a domestic, or even on a well designed comercial industrial.

Also you will find in the real world volt drop is far less than the APPROXIMATION method outlined in BS7671.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Save yourself more money and use .75 flex instead. Don't worry about volt drop the cables earthed if theirs any problems. Just make sure it's on an rcd.

Reply to long runs 1.5mm to 1.0mm in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock