• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss looking for a new MFT tester in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi I'm in the market for new test equipment and just wanted to know what you would recommend preferably a mft. I have had a look at the metrel mi 3152 eurotest xc, has any one had experience with it and what they think of it, thanks in advance.
D

I hate Metrel dont like the non standard leads. I get on with kewtech had a couple and very nice. Never owned a megger never will I aint paying for a name although they do look good must say. Fluke look good but again won't pay for just a name. I was offered one of them for £500 cash, guy bought it and said his boss just bought him one and he wanted to get rid of it. Though me and the lads had a laugh, one of them bought it, as it was so complex we reckoned he sold it for that reason and was too embarrased to admit it. The guy that bought it put it on ebay fairly quick as it was just too complex. Yeh its all singing all dancing but the way you access menus and some of the functions are redundant in the normal course of business. Of course I don't know what you do and maybe you need that level of complexity but...think twice. My view is that testing inspection and so on is complex enough I want a simple accessible instrument so as not to complicate matters further.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks a lot of money for a standard MFT. What do you require of your tester and what sort of work will it be used for ?

I use a Metrel and rate it, but at that sort of money I'd probably be looking at an all singing and dancing Megger.

Had my Metrel for over 7 years .... not planning on changing it any time soon. I got a "drop proof" case for mine and its often used as a seat!

The forum sponsor @Test-Meter have a good rep and are usually quite knowledgeable on the differences between brands.
If it was my choice I'd stick with Metrel, partly because I'm used to it, or look at Megger.

I have a preference for kewtech myself. if you are just plodding around on domestic work then the kt63 is nice and easy to work with and does all your testing.
otherwise you can move upto the kt64dl and the kt65dl. I'm currently shopping around at the moment for a new MFT myself and as people have said test-meter the forum sponsor seem the best priced.
Have a look at this link:- it shows comparison between the models
Multifunction testers | Kewtech - http://www.kewtechcorp.com/products/multifunction-testers

Had a metrel 3125 for 5 years no problems but had loan of a new Megger on loan for a few days while it was away for calibration and found that a good meter and uses standard leads.

Suggest buying the best you can afford, every time you take it out of its bright yellow case it will make you smile knowing that's its the best.
yellow case? YUK. i even sprayed my hilmor red and black to get rid of yellow.

We use fluke on the rigs and the other electrician uses his Megger, tried both out and both nice testers but I brought a kewtech kt65dl I think it's called. Great tester couldn't be happier, the wondering lead and all the accessories you can get with kewtech aswell make testing so much easier. Test-meter.co.uk have great deals on all of this.
Another thing that sold me on kewtech which is ridiculous but sold me non the less, is that I wanted all my testing gear to be the same brand and the kewtech accessories are the best and like I said make life so much easier

I'd recommend Di-Log MFTs. They are incredible value for money, have many of the features of the top-brands and conform to all the same standards. Really reliable, accurate, and cost-effective.

I was "brought up" on fluke and I love fluke, however I've just bought a Di Log as it was offered to me dirt cheap, I'm still undecided with it.

Don't get me wrong the features are great and it works well, but I still miss my fluke for some reason :D

Reply to looking for a new MFT tester in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back