Discuss Looking for two pole weatherproof push button in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

aesmith

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

This is for a boat with 12V electrics, so most parts are similar to auto electrics. For a new engine control panel I'm looking for two push buttons, both need to be two pole changeover. Does anyone have any suggested sources?

FYI this is to replicate the design that some manufacturer's panels use, where pressing the Start button latches a relay supplying power to the engine instruments and alternator IND terminal. Pressing the Stop button will as well as energising the stop solenoid, will break the latching circuit and switch off the engine electrics.

Any assistance appreciated, Tony S

You mean an ideally IP rated push button, didn't think waterproof came into the equation.

Thanks. Yes sorry I didn't mean "weather proof" in shipbuilding terms, so splash proof or spray proof would be more applicable. Something like IP55 or better.

Cheers .. but they seem to be single pole, unless I'm missing something? Or can they be stacked or something so a single button operate several switch modules?

They can be built up to have multiple switch modules as you require. Either normally open or normally closed.

Also make sure you look to see if you need a momentary pushbutton or a latching pushbutton.

What type of vessel/environment is it?

Ensure the switching element part of your controls,are up to the job.
Some contact element assemblies are not up to constant damp/salt exposure,and would be fine behind the panel on a narrow boat,but suffer unduly,on a rib's centre pod.

Telemechanique and Klockner make some quality switchgear,and for the purist,play-boy mariner,the controls manufactured for explosive environments,would be the pinnacle.

Nobody who has ever been in a small boat,on the Menai Straits,would ever skimp on the cost, of what starts the engine ;)

Reply to Looking for two pole weatherproof push button in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net