Discuss loop impedance on lighting circuit in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

i thought so, but was unsure as the only use i've ever had for a fluke was a doorstop.

How about going to the fitting and performing a 3 lead test there? That would be a more accurate measure of the circuits Zs too. Although I am unsure whether you are actually testing the circuit for any reason, or is it just to get a feel for your meter?

yes,it is on,I am putting the earth lead on the cpc,and the live probe on the switch live,I will try it with all 3 probes,but I wouldn't be able to do that at a light switch would i? I would have to go to the rose,and on the video which is on you tube,by routledge textbooks they are doing it at the switch with 2 probes,which is the one i am trying to do,I am thinking the 1651 fluke isn't capable to test like that.

yes,it is on,I am putting the earth lead on the cpc,and the live probe on the switch live,I will try it with all 3 probes,but I wouldn't be able to do that at a light switch would i? I would have to go to the rose,and on the video which is on you tube,by routledge textbooks they are doing it at the switch with 2 probes,which is the one i am trying to do,I am thinking the 1651 fluke isn't capable to test like that.

I don't use a fluke but could possibly be that the tester requires you to use the 3 leads to confirm polarity.

Not used a fluke myself, but I think what a couple of people have suggested is to join the N-E probes before testing, rather than only using two, although this will depend on if the circuit is RCD protected.

yes,I am trying to get used to the meter,maybe I am watching too many videos on you tube with different meters and expecting mine to do the same,a lot of those look (are) a lot newer than mine

your videos probably show a megger 1700 series. these will do no trip loop tests with 2 leads. earlier megger swon't.

Is there RCD protection on the circuit? If not then you should be using a 2wire high current loop test.
If there is an RCD on the circuit then you will have to use the alternative 3wire non-trip loop test.

tried joining the E &N and it tripped the rcd,it works fine using the 3 at the rose but I don't think it can be used at the switch,at least i know now.Thanks for the help.Greatly appreciated.

tried joining the E &N and it tripped the rcd,it works fine using the 3 at the rose but I don't think it can be used at the switch,at least i know now.Thanks for the help.Greatly appreciated.

Yeah, 2 lead no-trip tests are only available on newer models AFAIK. Can I ask what two leads you were using before hand? I think you may have been getting >2000 because you were using the 'L' and 'E' leads. If you are doing a two lead test (continuity etc.) on every tester I've ever used you have to use the 'L' and 'N' probes.

Yes fluke requires 3 leads well the one I used on my 2391 did try at the pendent or fiting using 3 leads and think you use F3 to change settings also helps using instruction manual or watch you tube video with one thats using a fluke

It will trip the RCD because your tester will nto do a 2 lead no-trip test. The point I'm making is, if you're doing continuity or IR, you will always need to use the L & N leads, no matter what you're testing.

I see,thanks,I am new to testing ,been in the electrical game since i left the army 10yrs ago,and have been going to night school,would like to do a few jobs of my own but won't till i am 100% sure i know what i am doing.i have paid for an inspect and test course in june of this year,am reading Gn 3 and Osg night and day,and follow the tester at work round like a sheep,lol.I will get there eventually,i hope.

Reply to loop impedance on lighting circuit in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net