Discuss Low voltage halogen equivalent??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Joe S

-
Reaction score
I have a customer who has in excess of 25 low voltage down lights that are on 24/7. They have a condition where they can't tolerate LEDs or CFL lamps and GU10's aren't bright enough. Does anyone know of a make of bulb that runs cooler than most as I am changed lamp holders every 6-8 mths. I've tried all manner of holders and ally backed lamps but in the end the wire burns off the terminal. They are concerned about the reliability of the materials but I have assured them that it is all good bits and that no one usually has their lights on 24/7. The heat generated is huge.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

P.s
I know the repeat work is great butI would also like to know if there is an answer.

Cheers
joe

I've tried them in the room they sit in the most and it does her head in. Every ones different I guess.

I have tried mate. They won't even have led under cupboard lighting which isn't seen directly. They have 12v cabinet lighting which is also popping all the time due to heat build up. It feels like trying to reinvent the wheel on this job as the only light they can tolerate is l.v halogen.

How are the lamps installed. Can you get more air flow to cool them down. did you try the LEDs with a driver not a transformer.

The down lights are traditional with cans and lamp set up. Up stairs there is insulation in the loft but not on the lights as I've pulled that off a few years ago. There is a light breeze through the downstairs ones but the house is very warm anyway. The under cabinets are surface mounted units. I have tried all methods with no luck. I even tried main role lights but they weren't bright enough. The issue is I never fitted the lights originally and have inherited it about 7 years ago. I have found some LEDs to be very closely matched to halogen for colour but better output. This customer can't stand the light they give.

So I have been told. Not sure as never had this issue before. They appear to have a lot of medication in the house.

Had a quick google, all I can find is SAD and Epilepsy. Neither of which sound like your problem. Maybe ask them what the problem is and do some research into the condition.

I appreciate the help. If I'm honest I think it's a little in the mind as there is a lot wrong with them. I maybe wrong but I've never come across this situation before and the golden rule 'customer is always right'.

I've installed some Ansell Axiom Led under cabinet lighting. The warm white, is similar to that of halogen; Axiom Rigid LED Strip

and the Trio luminaries Trio LED Cabinet Light Kit have a frosted glass appearance, so you can't see the Led's, if that's their issue?

Think your on a bit of a hiding to nothing with this one!

I agree but they have been good customers to me and I still believe in loyalty and will do what I can. I'm out of options so I'm probably going to end up putting lower wattage lamps in and seeing they get on with it.

I know that photosensitivity is a problem for some people.
I personally can tell when I'm under a LED light, the frequency is perceptible when viewing moving objects.

What make LEDS have they tried ? As Andy said previously about strobing effect , noticed it myself on certain types .

Have you ever fitted an Enlite 8w integrated fitting , I find the light to be very halogen like .

Maybe try some different types of LED lamps in a room (but don't tell them they are LED) as it maybe psychosomatic?!

I'm guessing they are wanting a more traditional warm white than natural / cool white light as well?

Have you tried reflecting light off the ceiling, from, say, warm white LED floods?
You could try modifying the colour of the light with filters - rose, yellow, pale blue (daylight), amber, one blue one amber next to each other mixed to make white?
There are also UV filters available which filter out the UV part of the spectrum, if that is the problem, or you could try a clear filter and tell the customer it filters out all the nastiness, or make up a frosted light box with LEDs of a similar CT to tungsten, and simply tell them the light is "sourced organically and ethically".

buy them some bloody candles or install gas lights. :punk:

Reply to Low voltage halogen equivalent??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock