Discuss M16 grommets in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

padawan

Hey guys :)

I need to terminate 6mm T&E, plus 6mm earth single, and 6mm SWA into an IP65 junction box.

The junction box i am using is this one

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LB9065.html

The SWA will be glanced into the 20mm knockouts, and the 6MM T&E and 6mm earth single will be rear entry, so far so good. I then noticed that the rear entry knockouts are both M16, which is a new one on me. I have had a look online but i can't find any M16 grommets (TLC don't stock them), the only thing i can find is m16 glands but obviously thats no good due to rear entry into the junction box.

Im not sure what i am missing, can someone please point me in the right direction.

Thanks

P.S. Please excuse my ignorance.

i'd not b other. just seal around the box to the wall after fitting. making sure there's a 4-5mm drain hole in bottom of box

Cut a 20mm grommet down to fit snugly, works fine if cake is not going to be disturbed.

And even cable too!

Last edited:
Don't know about you but I would use blind grommets to try and overcome the IP issue, but then thats just me.

Blind grommets won't be any good for maintaining the IP rating of the box.
The box is IP 65 so to maintain that you would need an IP 65 stuffing gland with suitably shaped insert to seal on the T&E

Blind grommets won't be any good for maintaining the IP rating of the box.
The box is IP 65 so to maintain that you would need an IP 65 stuffing gland with suitably shaped insert to seal on the T&E

You are right I thought that as I pressed the reply button, must be the red wine again I tend to blame that a lot but it is true the Cotes Du Rhone does tend to dull the sensed especially after a bottle

Thanks for your replies guys, seems it was a stupid question :oops:

The box is plastic so why do you need a grommet?

I suppose it doesn't as there is little risk of snagging the cable, normally when i have come across knockouts it been a case of glands or grommets, but i guess sometimes it hard to see the wood for the trees lol.

i'd not b other. just seal around the box to the wall after fitting. making sure there's a 4-5mm drain hole in bottom of box

Cheers that sounds just the ticket.

Cut a 20mm grommet down to fit snugly, works fine if cake is not going to be disturbed.

And even cable too!

Im not sure why i didnt think of this lol, but great tip thanks.

And after successfully installing, eat the cake. Jobs a goodun.

Cake is always welcome :p

The junction box i am using is this one

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LB9065.html

The SWA will be glanced into the 20mm knockouts, and the 6MM T&E and 6mm earth single will be rear entry, so far so good. I then noticed that the rear entry knockouts are both M16...

What makes you think that there are two 16mm knockouts in the back of the box? I can't see them in the photo on the TLC page you've linked to.

Reply to M16 grommets in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net