Discuss Main bonding made to separate earth rod? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Evening all..

I have just been to a clients house to quote for some work and when checking the Main bonding I noticed that it just had a 10mm attached to the gas pipe and then straight into a separate earth rod, it was the same for the water (had it's own earth rod).

I realise that this would not be acceptable on a TNCS or TNS system as there could be a difference in potential between the earth formed by the earth rod and the earth of the TNCS or TNS. However this house is a TT. I believe it still needs to be bonded as usual, i.e 10mm back to the CU but I would be interested to know if I am right?

I believe I am right as under fault conditions where an exposed conductive part becomes live, all extraneous conductive parts (if connected to CPC in CU) should rise to the same potential. I cant see how the extraneous in this clients house will rise to the same potential under fault conditions as the only link between the extraneous and Main earth rod will be the general mass of the earth not a 10mm conductor?

Cheers.

View attachment 35588

No idea chap, it's the first time I've seen this client!

I'd say that has been there a while the red and white label on the conduit box is bleached white. It is a bit odd but yes it should be connected to the MET assuming there isn't a conductor snaking around underground joining them all together.

I'd say that has been there a while the red and white label on the conduit box is bleached white. It is a bit odd but yes it should be connected to the MET assuming there isn't a conductor snaking around underground joining them all together.
I didn't take the covers off Westward so hopefully they'll be connected but probably not!

Evening all..

However this house is a TT. I believe it still needs to be bonded as usual, i.e 10mm back to the CU but I would be interested to know if I am right?

Hi HHD, the rod is the means of earthing for the installation and needs individual connection to the MET, where the protective bonding conductors can also join the party :)
Re the pic - I've never seen this done before - diy?

Edit - Westie outdrew me - oops

Assuming there is no other rod that arrangement means there is no earth for the installation.Have you looked at the MET, what is going into it?

Assuming there is no other rod that arrangement means there is no earth for the installation.Have you looked at the MET, what is going into it?

The house has 3 earth rods.
One earth rod is attached to the CU, the other 2 are used solely for the gas and water as seen in the picture.

I don't think using an earth rod to bond metal services, is in the spirit of reg 411.3.1.2 ?

Reply to Main bonding made to separate earth rod? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock