Discuss Main Fuse is apparently ancient in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I've just moved into a 1920s house and want a new fuse box as I'm not happy to fiddle with fuse wire. An electrician looked at it and said "first you need to change the main fuse" and wandered off!
So am I right in thinking an electrician cannot change this please?

If you are concerned at the safety of the fuse and intake you need to call the DNO which I believe is UK power networks in your area. Ask the electrician what you should tell them as he has seen it first hand and brought up the concerns.

The "Electrician" can't change, alter the incoming supply, anything past the Meter i,e, the consumers unit (fuse box) which houses the protective devices (fuses, circuit breakers) can be changed by your "Electrician"

Hardly a helpful chap, I'd look on the forums for a local spark who may be more helpful in terms of providing you with information.

Personally if I encounter a situation like that I quote for my part of the work and if the quote is accepted, work with my customer, their supplier and/or the DNO to make the appropriate arrangements for disconnection, service head upgrades etc.

Can't believe that's all he said! So he gave no reasons or anything? Don't use him again!

Any chance of you posting a picture up on here?

I imagine if anything the ancient fuse is safer now than when it was first installed. I would expect the fuse wire to have deteriorated so it's rating is now lower than when first installed.
The electrician probably meant the fuse housing needs replacing.

I could be wrong, but the OP mentioned that He/She was, didn't like fiddling with fuse wire, I took it that the OP was on about replacing the CU and the "Electrician " for some reason only He knows decided that the cut out needed up grading, and the OP was of the opinion that it was not possible to change the CU, at least that is how I took it perhaps the OP could clarify the situation. :)

I could be wrong, but the OP mentioned that He/She was, didn't like fiddling with fuse wire, I took it that the OP was on about replacing the CU and the "Electrician " for some reason only He knows decided that the cut out needed up grading, and the OP was of the opinion that it was not possible to change the CU, at least that is how I took it perhaps the OP could clarify the situation. :)

Pretty sure that's what the OP is saying yes.

He wandered off...how strange. Just sauntered off and didn't even say goodbye. Anyway, did he say anything about the rest of the installation. You may have an installation that needs rewiring by the sounds of it. Of course that is pure guess work, not an absolute! Any pictures available? (not from the members on here, sigh!)
You may have old cable, did he do any tests? or inspect anything? if no to the above I would guess he is very lax and not at all pro-active which is not what you need when working out how to proceed with older wiring.

Reply to Main Fuse is apparently ancient in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock