Discuss main switch question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im installing some main switches in an installation to cover 3 boards.

A question i have is, they anything against the regulations or indeed bad practice to fit a single main isolator switch to cover the 3 boards or should they have 3 individual ones.

What i got is a single phase load coming out main supply into a henly block which then feeds 3 DBs. Should it be okay to pick the incoming feeds into the henly block and take then into isolator and then new meter tails from isolator back into the henly block which would then feed the 3 dbs. So basically putting the main switch before the henly block?

obv this is the cheaper and quicker solution, but i just want to make sure im not missing anything which makes this against the regulations?

thanks in advance

I havnt actually seen the installation, yet so got limited info. On a pic i seen the other day it looks like BD1 and BD2 are main switches feeding boards else were in the building so it might just be a case of the main switch is only needed for DB3.

However if thats not the case then the other 2 boards only very small. maybe a one way and and 3 way. not sure what they feeding as of yet.

I havnt actually seen the installation, yet so got limited info. On a pic i seen the other day it looks like BD1 and BD2 are main switches feeding boards else were in the building so it might just be a case of the main switch is only needed for DB3.

However if thats not the case then the other 2 boards only very small. maybe a one way and and 3 way. not sure what they feeding as of yet.

I'd be going to have a look!

posts #4 and #5 are your best advice.

install a board and feed the others off this, much neater.

But not necessarily the right answer, depending on the type of board used the main switch may not be suitably rated for the switching duty or it may not be possible to achieve discrimination in the protection.

There has been no mention of the size of the incomer or main switch or the nature of the installation. It could be an 800A TP supply for all we know

But not necessarily the right answer, depending on the type of board used the main switch may not be suitably rated for the switching duty or it may not be possible to achieve discrimination in the protection.

There has been no mention of the size of the incomer or main switch or the nature of the installation. It could be an 800A TP supply for all we know
???? a main switch doesn't trip,

its a single phase supply i would be surprised if its over 100amp because above this i would have thought it would be 3 phase.

how would discrimination be a problem if 3 mcbs feeding 3 sub boards?

if thats true then every large building in the country has been wired wrong.

thats one big henley block for 800amps then lol.

busbar chamber with isolator for each if thats the case then

???? a main switch doesn't trip,

its a single phase supply i would be surprised if its over 100amp because above this i would have thought it would be 3 phase.

if thats true then every large building in the country has been wired wrong.

thats one big henley block for 800amps then lol.

busbar chamber with isolator for each if thats the case then

I didn't say anything about the main switch tripping, I mentioned switching duty which is the type of load it is able to switch. If the load is highly inductive it needs a different switching duty to a standard DB main switch.

I'm sure he said earlier that the 2 pole isolator suggested was no good as he had a three phase supply.

Discrimination will be a problem if the tripping curve of the sub main MCB overlaps that of the final circuit MCB in the sub DB. Discrimination is concerned with ensuring that under fault conditions the final circuit protection will operate before the distribution circuit protection. This is one of the reasons HRC fuses or MCCBs are preferable for submains.

Yes I missed the bit about the Henley blocks, that suggests it's going to be no bigger than 200A

I didn't say anything about the main switch tripping, I mentioned switching duty which is the type of load it is able to switch. If the load is highly inductive it needs a different switching duty to a standard DB main switch.

I'm sure he said earlier that the 2 pole isolator suggested was no good as he had a three phase supply.

Discrimination will be a problem if the tripping curve of the sub main MCB overlaps that of the final circuit MCB in the sub DB. Discrimination is concerned with ensuring that under fault conditions the final circuit protection will operate before the distribution circuit protection. This is one of the reasons HRC fuses or MCCBs are preferable for submains.

Yes I missed the bit about the Henley blocks, that suggests it's going to be no bigger than 200A
fair enough but im sure you can still buy bs88 boards.

or mccb's

An MCB feeding a distribution circuit for a dis board with MCBs on it is nearly always going to suffer from a lack of discrimination/selectivity. Cascading MCB discrimination is nearly impossible to achieve.

An MCB feeding a distribution circuit for a dis board with MCBs on it is nearly always going to suffer from a lack of discrimination/selectivity. Cascading MCB discrimination is nearly impossible to achieve.
an mccb main switch then mcb's or mccb's feeding sub boards.

when the shower/sockets/lights trip it doesnt trip every other mcb does it, same thing

an mccb main switch then mcb's or mccb's feeding sub boards.

when the shower/sockets/lights trip it doesnt trip every other mcb does it, same thing

Depends on the magnitude of the fault on the sub-DB circuit Shanky, with MCBs you only get partial discrimination at best, as Davesparks pointed out earlier HRC fuses > MCBs provide better discrimination.

Depends on the magnitude of the fault on the sub-DB circuit Shanky, with MCBs you only get partial discrimination at best, as Davesparks pointed out earlier HRC fuses > MCBs provide better discrimination.

what im saying though is the intake would be into a mainswitch that wouldnt trip then wither mcb's,mccb's idealy for each board.

they are all split off from the same point so how can the others trip honestly.

if the supply to all three was fed from the same mcb etc i could understand where you are coming from

what im saying though is the intake would be into a mainswitch that wouldnt trip then wither mcb's,mccb's idealy for each board.

they are all split off from the same point so how can the others trip honestly.

if the supply to all three was fed from the same mcb etc i could understand where you are coming from

I agree with you here ^^, I thought you were talking about feeding the sub-boards from an MCB, my bad :35: lol

Reply to main switch question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock