Discuss mains linked smoke detectors within flat entrances in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Bhafc

I have been asked to install mains interconnected smoke detectors in the entrance lobby of flats that are linked together with the common ways detectors. the common way detectors are already installed using the existing lighting circuit. Is it okay to use the supply from the detectors in the common ways to power the detector inside the flat? Also there is no means of isolation for these detectors Do I need to install one? if so would it be ok to install adjacent D.B. which will isolate common way lighting aswel? or need to be local to to detectors (maybe on ceiling) to keep the primary lighting supply on?

Each flat needs its own link detection....they should not be linked to another flats. Part 6 grade D.
Flat entrance halls or circulation areas should be covered as part of the flats detection.

Asked by who to install them by who? Based on what kind of design? Or do you have to design the install?
Been asked by my boss that they require heat detectors installed inside the door of each flat to increase audibility levels inside the flat if a fire was to start in the common ways. That's what the customer wants, that's what I have been told to do. Just need to know if wiring off common way lighting circuit is ok?

Been asked by my boss that they require heat detectors installed inside the door of each flat to increase audibility levels inside the flat if a fire was to start in the common ways. That's what the customer wants, that's what I have been told to do. Just need to know if wiring off common way lighting circuit is ok?

No extending the wiring of one electrical installation into another is not necessarily ok. Are they fed from a common supply or are they separate supplies?

Are you happy to accept the liability for installing a life saving system which likely does not comply with current standards?

No extending the wiring of one electrical installation into another is not necessarily ok. Are they fed from a common supply or are they separate supplies?

Are you happy to accept the liability for installing a life saving system which likely does not comply with current standards?
Off of common lighting circuit for communal ways

What is installed in the flats a the moment......the hallway should under part 6 already have detection...?

Separate supplies

Then you need to give very careful consideration to any design which results in one electrical installation being extended into another.
The earth of one installation could be an extraneous part when considered from the point of view of another installation.

Reply to mains linked smoke detectors within flat entrances in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net