Discuss Mains move possibly ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Soulsurfer

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hey all, just been to see a client ref possible full rewire ( she would prefer just odd cabling changed i.e. odd ring legs etc... ) and during she mentioned where service comes in the property just in lobby/hallway into usual cupboard kind of affair.

Basically she has a staircase like almost spiral running up in a tower structure to right side of front door which is directly opposite the mains cupboard and as she may want to knock through the cupboard at some point she wants to look into taking entire mains out DNO included and move to inside the tower structure which would entail a builder making some kind of doorway in the external curved wall and DNO refitting mains in there. So I need to look at extending all circuits and back to that point and then installing a brand new CU and associated, biggest pain is 2 large lighting junction boxes in there next to CU which is BS 3871 styleee, all cables need pulled up and out jointed through in ceiling and a route found to new position ! If it happens that is ? ( dependant on DNO costs etc.. ) I'm for one thinking it will be a time consuming and expensive ball ache and also what suggestions would you entertain to extend the cables ? Every lighting cable in and out of junction boxes, ring circuits etc. etc. prob need to be all maintenance free kit. Won't be accessible to use din rail enclosures. ( plus very expensive din over here )

Get the DNO to quote the meter move directly with the customer.
As for extending the circuits:

• Through crimps inside an enclosure.
  • Ideal through splices in an enclosure.
  • Wago connectors in wago boxes.
  • Large enclosure with din & topjob connectors from wago

Try and replace as many legs as possible, pull back any cables that pass past new CCU position and use Hager J803's on the rest of the circuits up to and including 32A which hopefully shouldn't be to many.

Last edited:
Cheers chaps yep been using those Hagers but don't take many in one do they. Just thinking of enclosure etc.. May need to be in ceiling as entire wall might be taken down as jutts into lounge area. Thanks for the sensible ideas guys.

You could even use a large adaptable box and fit several 20mm nylon glands on all aspects as required for strain relief then extend all circuits using Wago or Ideal 'in sure' connectors, I don't see why they would need to be fixed within the enclosure.

As it happens Dave OCD last time I had a messy one I used exactly that a big Gewiss box and glands then ideal connectors 2 & 3 port red or orange ones you push into and twist 90 degrees left and right to remove. They are maintenance free & never had a problem with those ones.

Agreed they are those in-sure ones I use they're very good, tight fitting / secure and also like the little continuity ports on them not to sure about their splice line things though, sure somewhere I heard of them arcing and causing issues prob much like their twister ( scruit replacements ).

Reply to Mains move possibly ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net