1. Just upgrading some bits and bobs. Hang in there
    Dismiss Notice

Discuss Maintenance - claiming VAT back? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Rc3897

    Rc3897 New EF Member

    Hi all,

    I have just started my first electrical maintenance job employed full time. Am I allowed/is there a way I can claim back the VAT on my future tool purchases? As it's my first job I will need to build up the tool list.

    Many thanks!
  2. slingshot2000

    slingshot2000 Regular EF Member

    You may only claim VAT back if you are VAT registered, and that is a whole load of hassle and probably not allowed if you are employed. You would have to then charge VAT (at 20%) on any work you invoiced.
  3. Adie moore

    Adie moore Regular EF Member

    get your employer to buy them through the business and you can give them the money back less VAT
    edit; assuming they are VAT registered
    Rc3897 likes this.
  4. spinlondon

    spinlondon Trusted Advisor

    Harlow Essex
    Get them to deduct the cost from your wages before tax or NI is deducted, if possible.
    Rc3897 likes this.
  5. Murdoch

    Murdoch Electrician's Arms

    I would call HMRC and ask them.... They don't bite!
  6. Risteard

    Risteard Electrician's Arms

    Derry, Ireland
    Not legally - they are required by law to charge the VAT if selling them on!
  7. darkwood

    darkwood Dreams in which I'm dying are the best I ever had. Staff Member

    West Yorkshire
    Your Tax code allows for your tool allowance so you are already supplimented to a certain level but like others say, you are employed and not a business owner so the claiming VAT back is not an option.
  8. Pat H

    Pat H Don't ask, get an Electrician in.

    Ware Herts
    If the company buys them they are owned by the company and on their asset list. If they sell them on they have to charge VAT on the sale.
    They could buy them. Rent them to you at a token amount and then sell them later as used for much less than new....
    Rc3897 likes this.
  9. anthonybragg

    anthonybragg Regular EF Member

    Yes if you want to be on hold for a hour +
  10. Pat H

    Pat H Don't ask, get an Electrician in.

    Ware Herts
    Of course the other option is to start your own limit company. Asset purchases can then be offset from your profits. And you can claim other expenses. Plus options on Dividend payouts as well as PAYE.
Similar Threads - Maintenance claiming VAT Forum Date
Pete's Videos Maintenance free Joints Electrical Forum Saturday at 8:00 PM
Maintenance Man Needed Electricians Looking for Work / Jobs Saturday at 9:08 AM
Ltd Company - Van Maintenance Business Related Mar 20, 2017
Area Maintenance Ltd Directory of Electricians in the UK Mar 10, 2017
EAL level 3 engineering maintenance electrical Electrical Courses & Electrical NVQ's Feb 19, 2017
Maintenance firm called NPE Maintenance, anybody heard of them? Tiles - Advice on installing and buying tile Feb 11, 2017
Maintenance Electrican Electrical Forum Jan 26, 2017
Maintenance engineer qualifications transferable to domestic? Electrical Courses & Electrical NVQ's Oct 17, 2016
Maintenance in industrial company Commercial Electrical Talk Oct 3, 2016
DNO maintenance on 11KV line Electrical Forum Sep 25, 2016
Electricians Directory Post a Domestic Job Post a Commercial Job