1. We've split off Commercial Electrician Talk and Industrial Electrician Talk from the main Electrical Forum. Please take note when you're looking for and posting new threads. :) 

Checkout the new Electricians Directory which you can add your business details to for free.

We've also teamed up with an insurance firm to offer you guys some discounted insurance. These guys will customise your insurance to fit your needs perfectly. Enquire using the following pages: VAN - FLEET - PROFESSIONAL INDEMNITY - OTHER TYPES OF INSURANCE.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Checkout the new British Forums, register for free and enter the competition to win a £25 Amazon Voucher!

Dismiss Notice

Discuss Maintenance - claiming VAT back? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.co.uk.

1. Rc3897

Rc3897 New EF Member

Hi all,

I have just started my first electrical maintenance job employed full time. Am I allowed/is there a way I can claim back the VAT on my future tool purchases? As it's my first job I will need to build up the tool list.

Many thanks!

2. Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. slingshot2000

slingshot2000 Regular EF Member

You may only claim VAT back if you are VAT registered, and that is a whole load of hassle and probably not allowed if you are employed. You would have to then charge VAT (at 20%) on any work you invoiced.

4. Adie moore

Adie moore Regular EF Member

get your employer to buy them through the business and you can give them the money back less VAT
    edit; assuming they are VAT registered

Rc3897 likes this.
  5. spinlondon

spinlondon Trusted Advisor

Get them to deduct the cost from your wages before tax or NI is deducted, if possible.

Rc3897 likes this.
  6. Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  7. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

I would call HMRC and ask them.... They don't bite!

8. Risteard

Risteard Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Walsh Electrical Services
    Not legally - they are required by law to charge the VAT if selling them on!

9. darkwood

darkwood Dreams in which I'm dying are the best I ever had. Staff Member

Your Tax code allows for your tool allowance so you are already supplimented to a certain level but like others say, you are employed and not a business owner so the claiming VAT back is not an option.

10. Pat H

Pat H Don't ask, get an Electrician in.

Business Name:
    Sparks of Intelligence
    If the company buys them they are owned by the company and on their asset list. If they sell them on they have to charge VAT on the sale.
    They could buy them. Rent them to you at a token amount and then sell them later as used for much less than new....

Rc3897 likes this.
  11. anthonybragg

anthonybragg Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    Yes if you want to be on hold for a hour +

12. Pat H

Pat H Don't ask, get an Electrician in.

Business Name:
    Sparks of Intelligence
    Of course the other option is to start your own limit company. Asset purchases can then be offset from your profits. And you can claim other expenses. Plus options on Dividend payouts as well as PAYE.