Discuss Makita BHP458 Combi Drill And Impact Driver in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Are you after it mainly for 458 drill or the impact driver? I had a play with one (458 combi drill) briefly at the elex show and liked it. Felt nice and comfortable in my hand, slightly lighter than the drill it replaces (451) but still as powerful. I was talking to the guy on the stand and asked why it was only 2 speed (the 451 is 3) and he reckoned the feedback they had got from the 451 was that on-one bothers with the middle speed and the 3 speed box was heavier and less reliable. Makes sense to me anyway.

The only downside I could find was that the Makita batteries aren't as cheap as Dewalt, Metabo and co. Dewalt can be got for a bit over £50 I think if you search around but I can't find any Makita for less than £70 to £80.

Makita also appear to have the biggest range of compatible 18V kit which may or may not be a consideration.

I have had quite a search for info comparing the various brands and you get praise and complaints about all of them. Plus plenty of youtube videos showing how good/bad they are but most of them look biased! If you look at previous discussion here there is no clear conclusion which is best.
According to the guy at ELex Makita have something like 40% to 60% (can't remember the number but it was big) of the UK market so I reckon we would know about it if they were rubbish ;)

From my play at various stands on elex I would probably go with makita (if i wanted the range of 18V tools) or Milwaukee (if I wasn't worried about the range) but that is a pretty ill informed, personal decision.

I would use them both, the drill for mounting backboxes and other things into brick/breeze and also for drilling joists and that. The impact I would basically just use for screwing things into plugs or into wood

Well, as I haven't actually used one in anger, just played with it at the show, I don't think I am qualified to recommend it. On the other hand, from what I saw and have read online I would be very happy to own one.
When I actually pull my finger out and get a new drill it will almost certainly be between the makita 458 and the Milwaukee HD18PD. I suspect I would be very impressed with either of them!

Reply to Makita BHP458 Combi Drill And Impact Driver in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock