Discuss MCS NCR's in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

macca499

Hello all,

I have been lurking here for a while and have found the forum amusing and informative but this is my first post. We recently had our MCS inspection for solar pv. The inspector gave us a few NCR's, mostly to do with the QMS and easily sorted - I showed him what he asked for and am convinced that what I had written ticked the box but he seemed to want things written in his lingo, even though what I had written meant the same thing. He did however give us a few mind boggling NCRs. First of all, during his 10 minutes at the site he suggested that the double pole MCB that we used to keep the pv on a separate circut was not actually an MCB. When pushed, his reasoning behind this assumption was that double pole MCBs are not readily available. I explained that I had ordered these as a special order from our electrical wholesaler but to no avail. This one is easily sorted as I just need to send on the invoice from the wholesaler for the MCBs. The other NCR bothering me is for calibration - I have written in the QMS about calibration and have a database with certificates for all of our meters and test equipment etc but he also wants calibration certificates for screwdrivers and cordless drills etc. Is this common and if so does this mean that I have to take all of the tools used for fixing meters etc to backboard or roof brackets to joists to be calibrated??

Many thanks in advance.

Macca

You inspector, bless 'im, is a man of limited intelligence on an ego trip. Quite common amongst assessors who generally know cock all about what they're assessing and think by spouting crap they come across all important. The best way to calibrate your drill is to ram it up his a.... ooh, gotta go, me tea's ready...

do you have that in writing?

Send it back and suggest he discusses it with a manager, as there is no such thing, other than maybe for torque screwdrivers, and no MCS requirement relating to them that I know of.

Do you need one for car/van mobile phone watch (if battery powered) Torch ladder (if metal)
Cheese sandwich (if the mrs made you one)

Slightly off topic, but you can buy left handed scissors and...wait for it.......
Left handed pens... really you can, my daughter has them.... :)

Thanks for the replies, I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thinks this is nonsense. My impression of the entire process is that there is far too much left up to the inspector's discretion/interpretion of the guidelines.

Cheers again,

Macca

He isn't looking for a PAT report/certificate for your power tools, is he?

If not, then write to your accreditation body asking for clarification of just what he is asking for.

Reply to MCS NCR's in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net