Discuss MCS registered companies, tipping point? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

Noshocks

I have been keeping an eye on the number of new and total companies registered for PV, the last fortnight seems to show that more companies decided not to re-register as those that registered for the first time, its only small numbers which equates to just six extra companies added to the total for the last two week period,but looks like we could have reached the peak. It isent surprising that this is happening, assuming this is the trend going forward and not just a glitch.

the way I see it, the only way for prices to get driven down further is via economies of scale, and if the overall market isn't going to grow, then the only way this can be achieved is via 'consolidation' ie less companies so higher market share per company remaining.

IMO the policies that have lead to this situation should actually be illegal as DECC is only empowered via the energy act to enact policies that increase the overall market for micro generation, and any policies that resulted in a drop in the size of the market ought to have required new legislation and a parliamentary vote.

If things don't pick up, I could see there could be grounds for a class action against decc for essentially misleading thousands of businesses into spending tens of thousands on getting in to the renewables sector only to have the promised work pulled from under them by unlawful actions from DECC.

Too busy trying to get the work in for before the August cut at the minute to consider this in any detail, but I'm fairly sure there's a potential case here.

The latest install figures from DECC look pretty grim, and this is just before there is due to be a cut in tariff, I have been realy quiet, a few more quotes this week but I have been subsidising the PV side for a couple of months, the guys on the forum that are doing ok or ticking over with work must be the exception, these low install figures would not sustain half the current companies registered. we're all dooomed..

I hate to say it but a round of BIG energy prices rises would do the solar industry a world of good. It's ironic that what's really bad for 99% of the general population would probably turn out to be good news for our sector.

i think many mcs installers have massive decisions to make soon stay registered or opt out but i think cash flow will dictate each company.

Its not CF for me, its more value for money - lets be honest - who thinks there's life after August on 16p and 20 years? for this job? im finding it challenging now on 21p and 25 years.

Its not CF for me, its more value for money - lets be honest - who thinks there's life after August on 16p and 20 years? for this job? im finding it challenging now on 21p and 25 years.
rationally there should be no problem, as we can still offer good rates of return on the new rates even at current prices.

problem is that the market isn't behaving rationally, it's running scared of the constant negative news, talk of cuts, chaos and industry death. At some point though the rational logic of the high tax free index linked returns has surely got to kick back in, it's just a question of how many installers are able to survive til that point really.

Meantime though getting order books filled prior to the next cut is probably the order of the day, and we've had a distinct bump in inquiries this week, after the bank holiday etc so fingers crossed.

As a customer I don't understand why you guys are suffering or rather I can see why but it makes no sense. Looked at it last year at 43p and the maths is about the same now on 21p. The deciding factor this year has been the total cost though as it's now low enough to be viable for lots more people to the extent if you have the cash it is almost a no brainer as energy prices are only going in one direction in the long run. I think it really does show how powerful the press are and how badly they need reigning in.

I have a feeling the install figures are misleading, any solid data on what rent a roof is doing? We're all hearing rumours of high percentages...

Free solar is currently around 25% of installs, according to the guy in charge of the BPVA who was at a training day I was at recently.

"Class action" is a US term, there is no exact UK equivalent. Representative Proceedings and Group Litigation Orders are nearest equivalents but they work in different ways.
ok, group action or whatever. In the same way that some are seeking compensation from DECC for loss of business resulting from their illegal cuts proposal last December, if it were similarly proven that they'd acted illegally with this latest proposal then there would be scope for compensation claims from affected businesses.

As I said, I'm not intending to devote time looking at this at the minute, but am pretty sure there could be a case here if the installation rate is kept permenantly capped by their sceduled cuts programme, as they are only empowered by the energy act to operate a scheme and make changes to it that encourages the development of the renewables sector (I forget the exact wording), so they ought to go back to parliament for an actual vote on a revised bill if they want to change to a scheme that restricts the uptake of renewables.

Beats us , we've averaged four a week since April rate cut. Just plodding along with seven staff.
Recommendations getting us 80% of new leads.

We are getting more calls from installers looking for work than customers looking for installs which speaks volumes.

Reply to MCS registered companies, tipping point? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock