Discuss MCS Thin film in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

earyzhe

Does anyone know of any MCS accredited flexible thin film products?

I'm quoting for a 150kW PV system on a factory with a curved roof. It would be the most simple solution.
They seem to be mainly used in America. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Hi earyzhe

You do know about the over 50 kw tariff change
I have never seriously looked into flexible thin film but as i understand , it is vastly less efficient so what with the 19 pence tariff and the inefficiency surly it would take bloody ages to pay back if ever ?
I would love to know if am talking tosh so please do reply if so .:oops:

Hi, yes I know about the 50kW tariff change. The factory is divided into 3 separate units, each with there own Mpan number and electricity supply so hoping I can have 3 x <50kW systems to get the best tariff. I've done a quick estimate and I think I could possibly get just under 150kW on the roof so efficiency isn't really an issue. Also from what I remeber on the PV course I went on, the tutor said thin film is the most cost effective (less £ per watt). So with the possible cost benefit, huge amount of time saved on installation (rather than trying to build a mounting frame on such a curve to mount panels) and would match the profile of the roof so look better and help with planning permission, it seems a no brainer..... If it actually exists!

Andy

I'm not sure that different MPANs equals different PV systems in the eyes of Ofgem... in fact, I'm bloody sure it doesn't. This would be considered a 150kWp rather than three 50kWp installations.

There is a company called Solyndra that manufacture some sort of flexible modules, check online this might be an option. However I think crystaline modules would possibly give you the highest ROI at this stage of the FITs.

Sorry fella , but along with Biggs i too know for a fact that this will not be the case !
If you do find otherwise please let us know as this may be a option to save at least a few company's from going ---- up that i know of alone !

Are the units truly separate or is it a single building with 1 landlord and 3 tenants?

Unfortunately you are not going to know if they are accepted as 1 or 3 systems until you try to register them. OFGEM refuse to give any up-front advice on this sort of thing - I know, I've tried.

As far as thin-film is concerned Q.CELL are the only company I know of who have some panels MCS accredited. I don't know enough about their range to figure out which are MCS accredited and which aren't though. Their UK importer would know. And whether these are flexible enough for you or not I don't know.

Our cost analysis with some of our customers has shown that in a few circumstances - where they will be using nearly all the ouptut, i.e. big users, the 150kWp option is still viable. They're just taking a deep breath at the moment and trying to decide wether to go for it now or not. I reckon a couple of them will, especially as they have very large roofs which means the effciency of thin film is irrelevant, so any decisions you come to, please keep us informed as to what you choose and why.

Thanks for your posts! The units are completely separate with their own metered supply and address but are part of the same building. I was unsure if I could split it, seems from these posts probably not but I'll still do some more research to clarify.

Thanks

Andy

Hi earyzhe,
I work for a thin film supplier called ENN Solar, and our modules have been MCS accredited. Our modules aren't flexible, I'm afraid, but they have already been successfully installed on a variety of different commercial rooftops, including curved rooftops. Please take a look at our website (Welcome to ENN Solar Energy), and feel free to contact me for more information.
Alternatively, you might be interested in Unisolar (Uni-Solar), a US company that manufactures flexible thin film products. I believe that their products are MCS accredited under the name United Solar Ovonics LLC. They are less efficient than ENN Solar modules ;-) but could be what you're after.
Best wishes,
Daniel

I am afraid we are not that interested in either option , but must say thank you for your rather refreshing honesty for which i for one will at least have a look at your website now .

It is a unfortunate fact that there seems to be a ever increasing influx of snakes in our industry , thanks for giving me a little hope that it may get better again !

i have used midsummer ( google them) for an MCS flexible, self adhesive panel for this sort of job. The only issue is the sq/m per kWp is huge.

hope this helps?

Thanks! I had been looking at the uni-solar products but didn't think they were approved because I was searching for the wrong name! I'll have a look into all the other suggestions too. Thanks again.

The MCS certificate number is MCS PV0029/14 for the Uni-Solar product (united solar)

Reply to MCS Thin film in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock