Discuss MEB? What is it? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

luckyjammygit

Hello

Just had a new Boiler put in and missed the Electrician.

he has left a note to say:

No visable sign of MEB
Recommed MEB 10mm ASAP

No phone number left.

I have phoned British Gas Installer and he tells me this is nothing to worry about as the guy just did not bother lookin for a Bond?

Could someone explain what is happening here?

Thanks

yup. the electrician means that he sees no bonding to the gas/water etc. advising it's done with 10mm, which is correct. ( could be 6mm if the installation is not PME ). it could be that it's there and he's not looked hard enough, but either way it needs checking. I suggest that youlook close to the water stop tap and the gas meter to see if there are clamps on the pipes with green/yellow cables attached.

if british gas have been anywhere near it, they'd have bonded at the meter, even if the meter is 50 yards away down behind the outside bog.

Hello

Just had a new Boiler put in and missed the Electrician.

he has left a note to say:

No visable sign of MEB
Recommed MEB 10mm ASAP

No phone number left.

I have phoned British Gas Installer and he tells me this is nothing to worry about as the guy just did not bother lookin for a Bond?

Could someone explain what is happening here?

Thanks

Gotta love british gas installers.. no bonding nothing to worry about!!!

yup. the electrician means that he sees no bonding to the gas/water etc. advising it's done with 10mm, which is correct. ( could be 6mm if the installation is not PME ). it could be that it's there and he's not looked hard enough, but either way it needs checking. I suggest that youlook close to the water stop tap and the gas meter to see if there are clamps on the pipes with green/yellow cables attached.
Could it be Tel, that the "Engineer" does not see a proliferation of Green and Yellow cables they normally see attached to the pipework that enters the Gas Boiler?? Most Gas fitters I have come across don't know the difference between Main Equipotential bonding and Supplementary bonding, just a thought

Just had a new Boiler put in and missed the Electrician. he has left a note to say:
No visable sign of MEB
Recommed MEB 10mm ASAP

I assume it's a gas combi and the Electrician was also GasSafe registered?
Sounds like he was too lazy to bother looking for the bonding and is fishing for another callout to remedy the AWOL conductor.

British Gas has charged £189 to carry out part p electrical connections including main earth bonding where required.

Cannot see any clamps or cable around Gas Meter.

Onto customer Service who have promised to ring back.

As no longer trust BG

How much for private installation?

You cannot give a price for installing the main bonding without knowing the extent of the job i.e length of run for cable, cable route etc... So it might well be a fair price. But if there is no evidence of any earth clamps & cable connected to your incoming water and gas service pipes ( assuming it's required for both) then you are in your right to question the bill and an explanation for why the MEB was not installed.

Hi - bonding is for safety. When faults occur bonding works to keep you from being exposed to dangerous voltages. It is a mandatory part of an installation. Putting the BG thing to one side, perhaps you could ask for a nice electrician to give you a quote via a forum post? Plenty of nice electricians listed here :)

It should be pointed out that it has not been called Main Equipotential Bonding since the 16th Edition was replaced by the 17th Edition. The correct term is now Main Protective Bonding.

If there are extraneous conductive parts and there is no Main Protective Bonding to these then the installation is unsafe and no electrical work (no matter how small) should have taken place without correcting this.

;)Latest:

Salesman phoned to say he tested Electrics and had no problem to report.

When asked why they charged for Bonding he has said thet was to pay the electrician fee and maybe we will get a refund.

He also states we are perfectly safe and it was just an upgrade to 10mm needed.

We also happen to be the first ever to have this problem!

Thank you for all replies

;)Latest:

Salesman phoned to say he tested Electrics and had no problem to report.

When asked why they charged for Bonding he has said thet was to pay the electrician fee and maybe we will get a refund.

He also states we are perfectly safe and it was just an upgrade to 10mm needed.

We also happen to be the first ever to have this problem!

Thank you for all replies

Reply to MEB? What is it? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net